Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right rolled down to Interpro today in the snow to see my baby, she was on the ramps less an engine

Picture341.jpg

The motor was stripped and was in good shape 8) apart from the clutch which was shagged. The block & crank will now be used for the 1776 rebuild. Gonna use a later bell housing to accomodate the later clutch plate, and fab a bracket to make an extra mount to keep things tight on the gearbox, so the tank will come out too. Gonna need a later oil cooler and tin for the project and whilst im at it do an Alternator conversion, whilst the motor is out the CV joints wil be replaced too. Im sure there will be one or two other things to add............

The SP heads are in good shape as were the pistons and barrells, so gonna box these and keep them for a project i just havnt thought of yet :lol:

The ICTs have found a new home, so will go someway towards the IDFs, Jason will take some pics of the build and ill post as and when.

Just

all in good hands 8) my 1776 built by Jase went for 2 years like a dream, seriously miss it. Hopefully get the pennies together to get a 2110 in the bus at some point ;) Jase is gonna be a busy man. :mrgreen:

easy said:
all in good hands 8) my 1776 built by Jase went for 2 years like a dream, seriously miss it. Hopefully get the pennies together to get a 2110 in the bus at some point ;) Jase is gonna be a busy man. :mrgreen:

He said your 1776 was a sweet piece of machinery, could you not retrieve it from the insurance company? Bet ur gutted about the engine just as much as the car itself!

Just

Ive been pondering which way to go with the brakes, CSP, FutBus, LateBay, ect but just ordered the Red9 Wishbone kit with discs & cals, all being fitted in March (once I get the bus back).

This way Ill have modern steering & brakes, with fully adjustable suspension and a narrower track even with the wide5 adaptors...........

So in the new year I will have WW dropped spindles & EZ Rider Kit up for grabs, this will go some way in offsetting the cost 8)

Roll on 2011.

Just

creationblue said:
easy said:

He said your 1776 was a sweet piece of machinery, could you not retrieve it from the insurance company? Bet ur gutted about the engine just as much as the car itself!

Just

It was a total gutter dood, could not get it back in the end....loooonng story, but onto new pastures and all that. My next engine is gonna be disgraceful! :mrgreen:

No updates for ages, lots to do but no van to work on, but today the engine build starts, took a trip to Interpro to have a looksie at all the bits before thaey get bolted togeather 8)

The only parts being recycled are the case and the flywheel, everything else is either Scat or Mahle, oh and the clutch is a Sachs unit.......well not totally true as the dizzy is also being re-used.....

The Scat 8 dowel crank has been balanced and matched with the flywheel, they had a problem which looked like the flywheel was warped, turned out the face of the crank was half a thou out :? so the dowels were removed and the face machined then re-doweled, not what you expect from Scat, but in fairness they did offer to replace it no quibbles ect, but that would have taken another week, besides the balancing had been done, so we stuck with it.

Picture347.jpg

Block machined, cleaned and given a coat of black.....

Picture348.jpg

Heads ported and ready to go...

Picture349.jpg

Scat rods probably OTT but nothing left to chance......

There is a doghouse oil cooler and later style fan housing going on. Came away with the rear bumper as it needs tidying, job im not looking forward to!

Should be fired up in the van at the end of the week :D

Just

Needed to sort my bumpers out as they were letting the bus down, wanted to learn something new so took on the prep and painting myself, with a bit of help from the EB family 8)

From this
Picture350.jpg

To this
Picture357.jpg

Not perfect but im pleased with the finish,I concentrated on the top edge more than the lowwer as you dont see that anyway, used rattle cans from Motaman, pleased with the colour too, not tried it up to the van yet. hope it will look Ok.

Then thought ide better get started on this

Picture359.jpg

Degreases the wheels and hubs and gave a quick wash, gonna take the top off and give it a rub down as it looks a bit rotten, but the inside is fine so hopefully just superficial. Then try and get a key for the lock and repair the side where the catch was prised off.

Just

Looking good, it'll be extra good with that 6rib box. Are you going to fit an external oil cooler with that?

mattd1984 said:
Looking good, it'll be extra good with that 6rib box. Are you going to fit an external oil cooler with that?

Cheers dude, not going for the oil cooler, i figure the engine wont be working anywhere near as hard in 1776 format for what im doing with it, so the extra cooling wont be needed.

As for the 'box cant wait to try it out, coupled with the rack n pinion steering it will be a revelation........well heres hoping anyway :lol:

Just

Latest posts