Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home, all I can say is beg, borough, steal......no! Sell a kidney, get a wishbone kit, it's the single best modification I have made! Pics tomorrow I'm off to bed 8)

Just

Good to see you made it back ok.
It's that good is it.
Can't wait to see the pics and to see it in the flesh.

Right pulled my finger out and downloaded some pics, get a box of kleenex and draw the curtains................. :lol:

Right, had a 3 hour trip ooop north, was fairy unaventful whch was a bonus :lol:

Pulled up around 7.30pm

027.jpg

Thanks to Simon and family for their hospitality Sat night, slept in the bus in the workshop ready for an early start Sunday....

So here are a few pics of the beam on the 'shop floor waiting for its new home.....

029.jpg

030.jpg

And a disc

031.jpg

The quality of the welds and CNC work is excellent

First up was to release all the cables to the front and disconned the gear linkage

Then before i knew it the beam was off without any dramas

033.jpg

Good bye beam, you served me well but times they are a-changing.....

035.jpg

Looking pretty damn good underneath, notice the spacer shim VW used on the original chassis leg

036.jpg

034.jpg

038.jpg

Now for the exciting bit, each side is bolted on using the original 4 mouting holes, notice we are running on the 2nd hole down, each hole being an inch apart, with and extra 2 inches available on the coilover. So I still have another 4" of downward travel 8)

039.jpg

040.jpg

Simon in action fitting the cross member, i was on Tea duty :lol:

041.jpg

Nice under shot looking good i say

042.jpg

I cant get enough of these pics, stop me if your bored :lol:

043.jpg

Steering rack looks good, its a Type 25 rack and bevel box, straight off the shelf.

044.jpg

I love the detail of the CNC work

045.jpg

Next up bolt the discs on, these are late bay units bolted to 2 pot late bay discs, again readily available off the shelf. This is the rear with the wide 5 adaptors bolted on

046.jpg

047.jpg

Had an issue with the callipers, my 14" steels arent designed to run with discs, but Simon sorted that by reprofiling the caliper, which has plenty of meat on them. Altho he said hes gonna put a note on the website saying they dont fit in future as it was a bitch to be fair :lol:

051.jpg

052.jpg

one side complete

053.jpg

Caliper after some re-profiling

054.jpg

Sounds simple and to be fair it is, testiment to the design and build, only problem was that VW didnt have the bracket for the front brake hose rubbers in any one place, each van seems different so these needed drilling off and refitting an inch to the side so as not to foul the plates.

Here she is on the ground

056.jpg

I love the look, the track is 20mm further in that how i was running before and it really notices. This is cause the beam is 25mm narrower than standard from spindle to spindle, i was running WW welded spindles that winden the track by 12mm, and the wide 5 adaptors now add 10mm (think thats right :? )

After a testdrive we wound the coils up by 2 threads cause we bottomed out a few times, but with me and Si in the front and him driving like a loon over a potholed road its not really supprising :lol: I will wind it down again in the week.

Back outside at 6.30pm, was a long day but never really broke a sweat and rushed..........we i didnt anyway :lol:

057.jpg

So the journy home.........

Conclusion...............

Its fucking mental in short..............the steering is unreal, the ride spot on, and the brakes hit the biting point and brake without any fade and in a true straight line. I seriously aim for potholes and it just eats them up :lol:

At 70 on the motorway i let go of the steering and i didnt die :D (probably not a good ideal in truth).

Seriously tho guys anyone struggling with their slammed bus, save up and buy this, anyone is welcome to try mine.

Just................so worth it!!!!!!

I should finish off my restating what i said above " it's the single best modification I have made!"

Jus

creationblue said:
Right pulled my finger out and downloaded some pics, get a box of kleenex and draw the curtains................. :lol:

Right, had a 3 hour trip ooop north, was fairy unaventful whch was a bonus :lol:

Pulled up around 7.30pm

hahahhaha :lol:

looking good dude 8)

Great pics.
Great write up so thanks a lot 8)

Get mine on the road first then see what I can do which will make the bus good/better :D

Looks like a really nice bit of kit 8) Very tempted but would quite like to keep the 14" steels :? going to have to put some serious thought into saving up for next year

Very jealous :)

67westy said:
Looks like a really nice bit of kit 8) Very tempted but would quite like to keep the 14" steels :? going to have to put some serious thought into saving up for next year

Very jealous :)

Im sure you could twist his arm, it wasnt as bad as he remembered it from the only other time they did a bus with 14s :msn4:

Just

creationblue said:
Just got home, all I can say is beg, borough, steal......no! Sell a kidney, get a wishbone kit, it's the single best modification I have made! Pics tomorrow I'm off to bed 8)

Just

creationblue said:
I should finish off my restating what i said above " it's the single best modification I have made!"

Jus

So.... reading between the lines, you like it then? :lol:

Latest posts