Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
petegee56 said:
come on then just, how did it go

Pete

Gonna have to be patient im affraid, it got pushed to the sideof the 'shop to makeway for another aircooled engined that needed finishing, should be done tomorrow............. ;)

Just

Looking forward to hearing about the outcome from the rolling road session as Jason is currently building me a 1776 also :D Bus is looking sweet as by the way!!

marsh said:
Looking forward to hearing about the outcome from the rolling road session as Jason is currently building me a 1776 also :D Bus is looking sweet as by the way!!

Probably why mine is still in the corner of the shop :lol: Ill get an update today 8)

Just

surfbus said:
Great lowering job!

Were did you get the wide 5 adaptors? I have the '71 early bay with the narrow 5. And i really want the wide 5!!

The adaptors come from Red9 Design, drop Simon a line 8) they do look good i must admit.

Just

creationblue said:
marsh said:

Probably why mine is still in the corner of the shop :lol: Ill get an update today 8)

Just

Whats the spec of the motor fella? Did your Mrs give in? 8)

Just

What a cool bus, wish I already had a Red9-wishbone and a 1776...also great to see that you adding more and more extra's to the bus.

Do you have some pics from the steeringcolom to the wishbone?

Remon T2a said:
What a cool bus, wish I already had a Red9-wishbone and a 1776...also great to see that you adding more and more extra's to the bus.

Do you have some pics from the steeringcolom to the wishbone?

Thanks Remon, its been a slow process, when I get the bus back home i will take a pic of the steering and bevel box. Could do with getting it back by Friday as want to camp this weekend as the weather looks good :msn4:

Just

Ok, got the bus back Saturday morning, and all is good. Produced 92bhp on the Sun Dyno, so cant complain with that, the blueprint was always torque so I think Jason got it pretty spot on 8)

The CB Oil breather is fitted and it looks pretty good

093.jpg

Took the O/S head breather thru the tin....

094.jpg

095.jpg

And the other

097.jpg

096.jpg

Had a cracking weekend camping round my old fellas with the family......

new and old, which is best....you decide 8)

098.jpg

And the rears.....

099.jpg

Got a big noticable notchy steering since its been at the garage, so will have to go back this week to put it right.......not quite sure how they managed it as they didnt have to touch it :? shame cause it was feeling so good. Im a little pissed if im honest but they havnt had the opertunity to answer as Jason wasnt there when i picked it up....

Just

Decided to change the wheel bearings on the Westy trailor, one was throwing grease, so had a tool machined to knock the centre collars out of the bearings as there were bastards to get out

collars knocked out the centre bearing hub along with tube
088.jpg

Wheel hub cleaned up and degreased
087.jpg

New bearings with collars installed ready to refit
090.jpg

1 wheel with new bearings....
091.jpg

Of course I forgot to put the centre tube in once I fitted both bearings on the 2nd wheel, then damaged the bugger taking it out again :lol: tosser!
So tomorrow need to get another bearing :roll:

Just

creationblue said:
Got a big noticable notchy steering since its been at the garage, so will have to go back this week to put it right.......not quite sure how they managed it as they didnt have to touch it :? shame cause it was feeling so good. Im a little pissed if im honest but they havnt had the opertunity to answer as Jason wasnt there when i picked it up....

Just

There are 3 allen bolts on the rod that connects the bevel box to the steering rack. As the bevel box for the Bay was modified on mine (by red9) to clear the clutch arm, so you will probably have the same mod.

The result of the modification meant that only 2 of the bolts are in use, make sure these are nice and tight, otherwise the steering can feel notchy, positive but notchy.

Des

Hi Just
Good to see it out of the workshop ....

Be really interested to see how the engine pans out for you as Jason has often talked to me about my next step should be an engine with some nice torque, especially as we do like some of the longer journey.

David

cotswoldiver said:
Hi Just
Good to see it out of the workshop ....

Be really interested to see how the engine pans out for you as Jason has often talked to me about my next step should be an engine with some nice torque, especially as we do like some of the longer journey.

David

Hi David, the engine is great, overtaking is easy and hill are no longer an issue, the test will be in 2 weeks when we tour round Cornwall 5 up with a trailor.............cant wait 8)

Just

Glad your all happy with the engine mate 8) Jase makes a quality 1776 ;)

Having some surface rust around the front screen rectified on Monday, off to Cornwall Friday so gonna be a bit touch n go ;) Anyway decided to go delux rubbers......bling city :lol: They turned up today fron Heritage.................

Just

No bus to tinker with so took out my enthusiasm (not skill) out on the trailer, having replaced the wheel bearings, the paint now needed a facelift, so out with my trusty rattle cans, had either silver, matt black or brown.................

Spare back on, but not being painted as i couldnt be arsed.....

001-1.jpg

A coat of primer...........and some Russet Brown 8)

002-1.jpg

Gonna sort the wood out some time when............but for now looks much better

003-3.jpg

004.jpg

Now need to sort a lock out this week, the key was lost by the PO and the panel got damaged whilst breaking in, so gonna put a hasp & staple on for now for a bit of security.....

Just