Squeak/whine driving me crazy!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
Hi my engine has developed a high pitched whine when it is running but not under acceleration.

It is driving me f***ing crazy trying to find it, I ran it with the alternator belt disconnected thinking it may be the belt, but no it still does it :evil:

I took it to my friends garage, he said it sounds like a rotational air leak, maybe a gasket or vacuum, couldn't find it :evil:

I put it over the pit, changed out the rocker cover gaskets and checked the gaps, still does it :evil:

Newish carb from machine7 so can't see it being that either :evil:

New alternator and belt, plus it does it when disconnected so not that :evil:

My best solution so far is turn the radio up so I can't hear it!, but it's so loud pedestrians turn and look especially at traffic lights :lol:

Any ideas would be good please, my next thing I'll change the gasket at the bottom of the carb and maybe the alternator pedestal if I can be arsed to go through all the agro of getting that off :evil:

Just a quick thought, does the noise have any relation to the clutch at all, i.e. noisier when clutch depressed or the opposite, maybe thrust bearing or damaged pressure plate . I take it you took the belt completely off ??? Another place to look is the starter motor, is it completely disengaging ??? And finally for the hard to find ones, have a look for any damage in the bellhousing, and last but not least, check oil levels in motor and gearbox. Try a large screwdriver touching surfaces at various places with the handle pressed tightly to your ear to give you a stethoscope type thing to try and pin point the noise, go careful where you stick it with a motor running :shock: Maybe a nice little video to give us a clue ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Where are you ?? :mrgreen:

Cheers Ozzie

Yep, I took the belt off all together when testing it.
By ear it sounds to me like it is from the general area of the alternator/carb, because from underneath it isn't as loud, but I will warm the engine up later and see if it still does it with the clutch depressed.

I'll get a video once I figure out how to upload it :lol:

This could be a long slog :(

No Dave, we did think that but checked and it's fine :evil:

It's more of a whistle that is constant at low revs increases on light but of throttle then disappears, it is maddening :?:

Dave, I reckon you thought the same as me, that's why I asked did he have the fan belt completely off so it couldn't be that.
I have had a think and was wondering if it could be something to do with the air filter, either not fitting quite right or not quite connected right.

Ozziedog,,,,, worth a wiggle bud :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :party0046:

Dave, I reckon you thought the same as me, that's why I asked did he have the fan belt completely off so it couldn't be that.
I have had a think and was wondering if it could be something to do with the air filter, either not fitting quite right or not quite connected right.

Ozziedog,,,,, worth a wiggle bud :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :party0046:

Vacuum leak on Carb? If you goggle it there are loads of video's that will let you compare your noise to see if it the same thing

Cheers gents :D

But carb is new from machine 7, although I am going to check the base gasket and I'm running on OE oil bath air filter with brand new connecting rubber pipe.

It has pushed me over the edge now :cry:
Messing about I now HAVE the fan hitting the tin wear :evil: , but that is an easy fix.

It has me imagining other noises, grinding etc, I think this may be my excuse to get a 1776 from the VW engine company, they seem reasonable.

It's a shame as my old AS unit has done well with taking the grief I've given it over the years and this is the first glitch in our relationship.

Latest posts