Starter Motor Issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthBay

Reaction score
Our 69 Early seems to love killing starter motors and I'm not sure why.

It's fitted with a hard start relay, which is relativeley new and seems ok. The problem seems to be that the motor either stays meshed or remeshes when running, resulting in a burnt out motor, and damage to the flywheel

Ive just replaced the flywheel with a new one though, and today another burnt out motor, and another trip home with the RAC.

Any ideas what might be the cause? Do the starter switches have a tendency to stay "on" when they get worn? If so, whats the easiest cheapest fix?

Cheers Neil

Sounds like you might have a wiring issue where the power to the starter isnt being disengaged once the ignition switch turns back from its sprung position
If this is the case the solenioid within the starter will remain energised and the starter will stay engaged and burn out

Maybe try removing the hard start relay and see how you get on from there - should be fairly easy to test with the starter removed from the gearbox and look to see if it disengages correctly

Check ignition switch ie is the key springing back after turning to start. If it is not or spring is very weak you need a new switch, not key and barrel.
Robert
:idea: :idea:

We went through 3 motors cos the return spring on the ignition switch wasn't working, so having started the bus the SM stayed engaged , but u couldn't hear it above the engine noise. In the end , I consciously turned the key back to ensure it's disengaged, I still haven't changed it and that was a year ago, and all is still ok with motor number three
Even the AA didn't twig it, it was my 22 year old daughter who knows nothing about mechanical stuff but just said "dad , sounds like your starter thingy is still on " !!!!
She's available for hire :lol:

mrs hoskins said:
We went through 3 motors cos the return spring on the ignition switch wasn't working, so having started the bus the SM stayed engaged , but u couldn't hear it above the engine noise. In the end , I consciously turned the key back to ensure it's disengaged, I still haven't changed it and that was a year ago, and all is still ok with motor number three
Even the AA didn't twig it, it was my 22 year old daughter who knows nothing about mechanical stuff but just said "dad , sounds like your starter thingy is still on " !!!!
She's available for hire :lol:

This is exactly our problem (the nice RAC man pointed out to my wife). We couldn't understand why the starter problem always seems to happen when she's driving, but weirdly I always turn the key back manually when I start the engine (don't know why) and she doesn't. When the starter had failed you could then hear the solenoid clicking when the key was released. So, new igntion switch or starter button?? Is the switch easy to change??

Thanks for all the comments.

The garage that fitted the last starter motor had an 18 yr old girl bring the bus back, and she didn't realise u need to manually bring the switch back.....she fried the motor, and the garage took responsibility! Very good of them I thought
Crossroads motors in Bidford upon Avon if anyone ever wants a good garage with a sensible MOT chap.

Pleased you found the problem. Not too hard a job to replace switch, the hardest part is removing steering wheel. Dont forget to mark steering wheel and column shroud to make sure you put steering back the same way you took it off.
Robert
:D :) :)

Latest posts