starts, idles then dies...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint_golfer

Reaction score
So heres the second of my 68' westy problems, this is the main issue thats going to scupper tomorrows MOT and I could really use a little light at the end of this tunnle... or i might provide my own with a burning rag down the filler neck ;)

I had the engine set up properly so it idled and ran right ready for the MOT but I had to pull the lump back out to re-clean my tank. I've reinstalled everything as it was and connected the wires exactly as they were prior to removal - I took refference photos for a change!

It now starts, runs for a couple of seconds then the revs drop off and it cuts out.... it will pick up if I depress the throttle as it starts but if I let off the gas and come back on it still dies.

I rebuilt the carb prior to the setup work and it got removed and cleaned out today in an effort to ge things going but I've not touched any mix or idle screws so it should be the same as it was.

cheers

Rich

I had similar problem - (started OK but died almost straight away, unless I kept foor flat on the floor, in which case it ticked over roughly - and after about 30 seconds it roared into life as it should).

Turnout out one of the jets was completely missing - presummed coughed out of an exhaust valve at some point as the engine hadn't self destructed

I've got almost exactly the same problem on my 68 (stock 1600 with single carb). The bus starts no problem and accelerates fine - give or take the odd fart/pop ;) - but as soon as you stop it cuts out.

It just doesn't idle. It's been suggested that it's a worn carb spindle (worn spindle seals?) - which is allowing air into the chamber and thinning out the mixture. Does this sound right?

I also get a few drips of fuel when you finally shut the engine off - which is a bit concerning (fire risk?). Should I be worried about these drips or?

Thanks.

similar to me mate - ref the burning rag!!! £400 on mot. pulled engine out to replace tin ware and oil cooler now it wont start!?!?!

Check the idle jet, if you've cleaned the carb there's a good chance you've dislodged some crap which is blocking the jet. Also check the connection to the electromagnetic cutoff valve is ok.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know my points are gapped right (three of us have checked them...) and I double checked all the connections the last lime too so but I'll cast an eye over them again anyway.

I think its going to be a quick carb off job to clean it out again (getting used to it now), replace the short fuel pipe and give the jets a blast through with air and thinners.

If I pull the jets out will that affect the setup once back in? or do they only fit in one way without adjustment? I didnt do the setup myself, decided to leave that to someone far more competant than me hense it was working fine until I got involved ;)

cheers

Got a similar issue whilst driving round North Devon, all of a sudden it just wont idle. Starts fine on the choke, runs till warm then dies. Took the Carb off twice and stripped it best you can in a camping field, put it back no difference. Went though valves, spark plugs coil etc, all fine. checked shut off valve all fine. Put it back same issue, ended up having to nurse it around everyhwere best i could.

Also after speaking to a mate squireted WD40 everywhere checking for air leaks, apparently if it has a laak it will suck it in and run quicker but all to no avail.

Its a job for a weekend soon as it needs to be running right to get us to Busfest.

Happy Days! :D

Stripped the carb again today and cleaned it, found a load of crap above the brass valve in the carb lid where the fuel inlet is. Good soaking with carb cleaner and re assembled it. Also fitted a new short line upto the carb and now it starts, runs and idles fine (apart from it being a bit noisy)

MOT booking for friday I think.....

skint_golfer said:
Happy Days! :D

Stripped the carb again today and cleaned it, found a load of crap above the brass valve in the carb lid where the fuel inlet is. Good soaking with carb cleaner and re assembled it. Also fitted a new short line upto the carb and now it starts, runs and idles fine (apart from it being a bit noisy)

MOT booking for friday I think.....

:D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts