Steering pin

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustydiver

Reaction score
Ive got a new one which I bought a year or so ago it's a febi one from one off the usual suspects.
Just getting around to sort my front beam out now.
The last one I fitted was easy to fit, this one just having a quick look at it, the pin doesn't want to go through the brass bushes, I know they are supposed to be tight but how tight?

Im beginning to wish i didn't touch it now, the so called dropped spindles arnt that great which came from a once good known supplier/ remanufacture .

sparkywig said:
The steering pin bushes need to be reamed to the size of the pin.
But that seems daft cos if they supply them as a kit with pin and bushes surly they manufacture to fit. Or am just missing somthing and being a Somerset ficko.

You have to ream a split one, I had to on my old one but a bays should slip straight in...
Are you running link pin or bj front end?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bay ones are two piece, split bushes are one piece and need to be reamed to the size of the steering pin.
Get an adjustable reamer, I think you'll need either an H10 or 11.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/ADJUSTABLE_REAMERS_INDIVIDUAL_SIZES.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparkywig said:
Bay ones are two piece, split bushes are one piece and need to be reamed to the size of the steering pin.
Get an adjustable reamer, I think you'll need either an H10 or 11.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/ADJUSTABLE_REAMERS_INDIVIDUAL_SIZES.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks I've got a two piece one as I've got a early bay beam fitted but have an early split beam to go on. So I might have the wrong one anyway :oops:. Trying to get it back to a stock beam to fit the dropped spindles.
My beam fitted has had I think a bit off Harry Harpicks magic touch done to it with a bit of cut and turn and strange adjusters.

2012-04-30184534.jpg

sparkywig said:
I seem to remember you asking about these before you fannied off to the SSVC forum. ;)

Yea but they don't give sensiable answers there.
Their answers are you should know that.

I have spotted you on there a few times off late. :D

And it's taken me this long to sort it. Got to get it done for BVF.

i have the same adjusters. i finally found something on vzi the other week on them, some bloke was manufacturing them and has been selling them for years. The way I understood it the centre plate has two holes for different height settings and by taking the plate out and turning it over effectively two more settings.....

davechorlton said:
i have the same adjusters. i finally found something on vzi the other week on them, some bloke was manufacturing them and has been selling them for years. The way I understood it the centre plate has two holes for different height settings and by taking the plate out and turning it over effectively two more settings.....

Yep that's the babies.
The problem is I want to go back to a stock height to fit dropped spindles. And my highest setting is too low.

Latest posts