stock air filter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground hugger

Reaction score
Hi
Just noticed that when I rev the engine, the long rubber hose that connects carb to air box collapses with the revs :? Is this normal :?: ....Dave

eeeerrrrrrrrrrr no,sounds like your air filter needs a damn good clean or the hose has gone very soft.(it has been hot :shock: )soak body of cleaner in container so its full of solvent and then leave to drain before refitting also make sure not to much oil in bowl.

Didn't think so my self but Ive never taken any notice of what it does until today.Ill give it a good clean out :)

...Dave

Just taken it off and it doesn't seem to be blocked :?
Ive emptied the oil and wiped clean the bottom of filter housing out .there was about 2mm of sludge in the bottom.....,the filter its self looks clean and I can blow/breath quite easily through it.
The hoses are clear,put some fresh oil in up to the lip on the filter housing,connected large hose...fired it up and its still doing it :?

Theres definitely something blocking the airflow and it will make your engine run super rich. Dont drive it like this.

Have you checked the flap on the air cleaner inlet that controls whether warm or cold air is drawn in? - Could be somethings gone wrong and its blocking the airflow maybe?

If the two air cleaner inlets and control flap are definitely clear then it must be the filter that needs cleaning.

Being able to blow through it is not enough of a test since the engine draws around ten times what your lungs can do :lol:

Hi Trikky
When I rev it the weight lifts up,this closes the intake off (doesn't sound right to me) :?
the weight is on the left hand side as you look at the filter intake is this the right way.....Cheers...Dave

ground hugger said:
Hi Trikky
When I rev it the weight lifts up,this closes the intake off (doesn't sound right to me) :?
the weight is on the left hand side as you look at the filter intake is this the right way.....Cheers...Dave

The flap should open as you rev the engine to let in more air - not close :lol:

Has it got bent/flipped round maybe?

Ive just removed the rubber hose and gone for a drive and it picks up much better than it ever has especially in second and third,so there's some thing amiss with it....Dave

Trikky2 said:
ground hugger said:
Hi Trikky

The flap should open as you rev the engine to let in more air - not close :lol:

Has it got bent/flipped round maybe?

That's what I thought never looked at it before and its been like this for 13months....Ill go check it now cheers...Dave

Wow - I've never seen anything like that!
The air inlet/filter must be almost blocked - the pipe isn't bubber it's hard plastic. :lol:
Fantastic - going to be something obvious and your MPG is going to improve massively. :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ive just removed the flap bit :oops: there's a lip inside moved the lever upwards and it now opens when you rev it :lol:

WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT 13 BLEEDING MONTHS ITS BEEN LIKE THIS..And Ive had it tuned at that twice :oops:

Cheers fella....

ZedBed said:
Wow - I've never seen anything like that!
The air inlet/filter must be almost blocked - the pipe isn't bubber it's hard plastic. :lol:
Fantastic - going to be something obvious and your MPG is going to improve massively. :lol:

:lol: I cant believe it....think my brains made of bubber :lol: :lol:

just going for a run to save some fuel :D

Trikky2 said:
Glad its sorted - I think you will be pleased with the improvement :lol:

Your not wrong there Trikky2 its like Ive turbo charged it.I honestly cant believe it :D :D :D
1st gear then second there's a little bit of lag/hesitance then fu%£ it flys :D :D

Brilliant - I'm loving this thread - almost as satisfying as fixing somneones brakes by re-installing the servo non-return valve the right way round. I do that quite often as Haynes instructs people to fit it backwards. ;)

Not that many of you lot with your earlies will be up to speed with servo's I guess...

ZedBed said:
Brilliant - I'm loving this thread - almost as satisfying as fixing somneones brakes by re-installing the servo non-return valve the right way round. I do that quite often as Haynes instructs people to fit it backwards. ;)

Not that many of you lot with your earlies will be up to speed with servo's I guess...

:lol: Yup - even when theres arrows on the valve - i still test em before fitting :lol:

Latest posts