strange knocking noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty has developed this strange knocking noise. It only happens when I turn to the right for example going around a roundabout, on the way out there is a fairly slow knocking noise which continues for a short time once going straight ahead. The noise started when I was driving to Wales on Sunday.
I can't feel anything through the steering wheel or anything else. I have checked the engine and the fan belt was slightly loose, which has now been tightened. I thought that since it only starts when I turn right it cant be engine related.
I had Litesteer fitted two years ago. There is nothing loose under the van that I can see.
I thought it may be a loose exhaust -no
I have felt the wheels and they are cool not hot so thinking it's not the wheel bearings

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’ve checked the cv joint boots and all four are intact. The cv joints were new in 2019 and two replaced a couple of years ago due to a split boot and damage to one cv joint. I replaced the pair though as there was an offer on at the time. I’ve been under and grabbed the axles and turned the wheels there’s no odd noises. I don’t know what else I can do to check them?

Thanks guys. It was the r/h/s CV joint at the wheel end. Replaced and no more knocking. I grabbed the axle and could just feel slight movement which the others didn't have. When I took it off and inspected it there was pitting on the metal face similar to what happened in April 23 on the l/h/s !
There was no knocking then, I looked at it because of a split boot. This time the boot was intact and the grease looked ok, but the CV joint was damaged. Fortunately I had a spare in the garage so a relatively quick and cheap solution.

I had checked just about everything else, but never thought of the CV joints . :)

Latest posts