"The Keeper" 1970 Sacramento Westfalia Pop Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
close but no cigar :roll:

S5001559.jpg

had to grind 1cm off the input shaft

S5001558.jpg

awaiting a second beefier jack for the gearbox now

hopefully in by the end of the nite :mrgreen:

faux said:
Is that the fuel pipe you are holding????? :shock:

Not far off now....

yes :shock:

was a bit worried................lol

play tonite was delayed as we needed a bigger jack for the gearbox, to get it higher

should be putting some miles on it by fri nite/sat mornin :mrgreen:

Fantastic lookin bay, good to meet you Gary. Hope you get it running this weekend.
Hopefully see you again at a show one day.

Right, got a good few hours work done today :wink:

Engine is in at last, gear box needed some fettling, bit of grinding on the input shaft

it was a bitch, but went in eventually :mrgreen:

Got a few niggles to sort tommorow

- 2ltr starter motor needed
- longer bolt for starter motor
- exhaust muffler fouls the engine bar, need to get an adaptor flange made up
- mount electric fuel pump
- adjust left rear adjustable spring plate
- lower front beam a few inches :wink:

Right, engine now up and running :mrgreen:

Need to fit a new battery and starter motor to save tears later

Fit front tin, which fits like a glove(not)
Re weld muffler ( 1 inch ground clearence at the mo)
fit valence
Re-fit bumper

Sounds sweet!

What difference does the 2ltr box make ("longer legs" for motorway driving?), and would I notice similar benefits if I used one with a 1776?

Thank you.

Well done Gary... 8)

I bet you feel a bit better about the whole thing now? It will well worth the hastle.

Just to make you feel better, every time I have fitted an after market exhaust to a lowered bus I have had to make modifications to them and the valance. I always take them to a local garage (Welsh Coast Customs) with all of the tin ware, bumper etc then play until it is right.

It will be up and running for Dubfreeze....Brrrrr!

nice one Gary, sounds sweet 8) . i'm going down the opposite route of an AT code GT box with the hanger, hopefully with the same results. I have the same A1 muffler but wanted to go low so i wasnt sure how to fit it? id love to see a how-to, cut and re-weld the muffler or go for the header flange?

Johnny said:
nice one Gary, sounds sweet 8) . i'm going down the opposite route of an AT code GT box with the hanger, hopefully with the same results. I have the same A1 muffler but wanted to go low so i wasnt sure how to fit it? id love to see a how-to, cut and re-weld the muffler or go for the header flange?

we used a piece of pipe, about 8cm long, and welded 2 flanges at the right angle to clear the rear engine bar, as its designed for a beetle not a bus :roll:

trouble was it was 1 inch off the ground :shock:

so ive sold it, and bought a speed shop bus turbo muffler, much better fit (pics to follow)

My mate popped over in his split, and couldnt resist taking some pics, as he did my upholstery, and likes his photography :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7386.jpg

IMG_7381.jpg

IMG_7395.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

Ahhh! How sweet....white westy's are great.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good to see the family enjoying the bus - I assume it is up and running now.

faux said:
Ahhh! How sweet....white westy's are great.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good to see the family enjoying the bus - I assume it is up and running now.

nearly there, teething problems, narrowed it down to the starter motor now i think :roll:

dont even remind me how long its taking :wink:

be glad to just drive it again :mrgreen:

bought more toys for it, might will leave those for another day :wink:

Latest posts