The Route 66 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
due to family stuff im gonna be staying stock height on this one for now

it arrived back at mine today, iv made a start on the interior already, stripped out the floormat and started sweeping the dust and rust out :lol:

needs a full mechanical overhaul and some welding here and there, its bloody straight, and its gonna shine after some elbow grease

P1030055.jpg

P1030054.jpg

had my helper out this evening before dinner, bumper off and a bit of a tap at the rust/crusty bits

P1030058.jpg

outer lower front panel

P1030061.jpg

P1030063.jpg

microbus seat mounts, about 6 holes rusted thru, on a plus doglegs and battery tray are mint, the underneath looks well undercoated too

P1030064.jpg

got all the doorcards of in the back, and gave the floor a clean up, no hidden surprises im glad to say, also decoded my mcodes, it was made 4th december 1968, and due for jacksonville, USA

P1030065.jpg

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(5) :
- Microbus
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 229084749
Serial number 084 749
Modelyear 1969
Planned production date December 04 ,1968
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color
Color upper part : L581 - Cloud White
Color lower part : L620 - Savanna Beige
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 34 - Light Sand/Khaki Brown Leatherette

Destination USA, Jacksonville

I've got the same bus as you except mine is an 8 seater walkthrough model. Needs some minor TLC. Looking forward to seeing yours all cleaned up!

Keeps the photos coming ;)

slammedresto said:
due to family stuff im gonna be staying stock height on this one for now

Will you answer to "stockheightresto" then ? :lol:
Nice find , I'm sure it will look a lot different in a few months.

Nice bus slammedstock resto ;)

Always nice when you finally get it home and start the big clean up :D

Bit of an update

Roof vent removed and hole welded up with some OG tin, needs some finishing, and roof will be repainted

P1030508.jpg

P1030509.jpg

T25 hatch made smaller and fitted along with the surround

P1030507.jpg

P1030505.jpg

Engine is f*cked, so recon 1600 will go in. All the tinware getting painted black, and engine bay looks like it will clean up nice

P1030511.jpg

Front screen looks pretty good after all, so a bit of a repair to a few holes.

Like the engine hatch mod, someone had cut the top out of my engine bay in the past so maybe thats the way forward instead of trying to weld it back up and make it look untouched. Was the type 25 hatch easy to let in?

junglefacejake said:
Like the engine hatch mod, someone had cut the top out of my engine bay in the past so maybe thats the way forward instead of trying to weld it back up and make it look untouched. Was the type 25 hatch easy to let in?

In a word, no

The hatch was the correct depth for the hole, but too wide. It's all been cut. Down to fit, inc the frame

a bit more done

front panel bottom repair started

P1030547.jpg

cab floor repair

P1030548.jpg

windscreen surround much better than it looked

P1030549.jpg

a few rusty bits cut out

P1030550.jpg

roof, bumpers and wheels are getting a fresh coat of cloud white, and the front panel hopefully blended in with some matching beige

mechanicals left to do, complete brake overhaul, check over electrics, fit new headliner and refit all new rubbers and chrome deluxe trim

and put together recon 1600sp with freshly painted black tinware

Nice work! You're making more progress than I am on my van that's for sure!

slammedresto said:
junglefacejake said:

In a word, no

The hatch was the correct depth for the hole, but too wide. It's all been cut. Down to fit, inc the frame

im glad ive seen you do this i have a full t25 hatch and was worried about the size, how did the bracing go underneath?

Johnny said:
slammedresto said:
junglefacejake said:

In a word, no

im glad ive seen you do this i have a full t25 hatch and was worried about the size, how did the bracing go underneath?

i will take a pic of the remains of the hatch frame if it still about, and some close ups of it in for you

we didnt use much of the original hatch frame

Few more updates

engine out, and tinware, wheels and bumper removed for paint

30072010007.jpg

roof and front panel in primer

30072010005.jpg

30072010002.jpg

bus was sat for 21 years, so new master cylinder and complete new brakes all round

30072010006.jpg

whilst the windscreen was out painted the speaker grill/top dash

30072010003.jpg

I would love to say im doing it all my self, but work and family life make that impossible at the mo

so its being done by bryan at elitebodystyling.co.uk

not seen your bus about yet dude, you going to volksfest sunday?

gary

cant make volkfest sunday as i am away with the lads for a weekend :roll:

went to bugjam which was a load of shit (in my opinion) :msn4:

the van is buzzing around now and then but only on select journeys :lol:

nearly finished, but are they ever complete? ;)

had a day in the home office, so had a short commute.

so had a trip over the unit once i was finished tonite, front panel in frsh paint

P1030607.jpg

nice and dry under the pedal tray too

P1030609.jpg

Latest posts