The things we do to VW's in ignorance :oops:

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
I was just thinking how much I regret riping out the original panel covers from the doors on my 1 owner Dormy all those years ago! I slung everything, slider, all the panels around the sink etc. I was just getting into busses -
I thought I'd give the old girl a facelift and make it 'look better' :oops: by making my own as the OG alabaster vinyl panels were looking tired and grubby.
OH how stupid I was! :evil:

If only I knew then what I know now - I'd love them back! :(

anyone else ever done a stupid thing to their VW before they realised the value of NOT doing it! ?

Skipped the westy interior of my 74 ooopppps

binned a few ratty looking items from my 71 thinking I'd pick one of those up easily enough ooopppps

The guy who owned the van before me, super glued all the interior to the deluxe trim around the bulk heads! Which were then foooked as i couldn't get the wood off them. What a twat.

Stooopid thing i did was Skipped 4 Original steelies... :roll: What a twat

where do i start,
binned the heater nobbs
binned the westy top locker
binned an early indicator stalk
painted it green

yeah i scrapped my old 1303, I should have just sat it in my garage for a few more years, i miss the old girl!

I also scrapped a few mk1 Golfs that would be prized possetions now! doh!

Once turned down a fully restored Frid for £3500 :shock: :shock: was a while ago but hey you live and learn! :wink:

Got married :shock:

Only joking - so far, nothing regards the van :wink:

I didnt do it, but quite a few years back my dad practically gave away a F reg bay , to someone who was "gonna fix it up" but then let it fester away and sadly i think it got scrapped :(

soysauce3 said:
I didnt do it, but quite a few years back my dad practically gave away a F reg bay , to someone who was "gonna fix it up" but then let it fester away and sadly i think it got scrapped :(

ditto, my dad sold our van[69 bay] back in 1983 'coz it was in the way' he sold it for scrap, and got £50

70s.jpg

pic taken 30 years ago.......

sold my rear bumper (1970) which - if I remember correctly - was in pretty good condition. Also had a tow bar attached.
Now looking for one and have to wait for an import!

Also have ripped the interior out as going to customise but at least I haven't binned it! Some parts were a bit beyond repair tho...

I bought a late bay................ bought some early hub caps for it as they looked cool, then realised they wont fit, so sold the van it to buy an early just so I could fit the hub caps :lol:

Doris said:
I was just thinking how much I regret riping out the original panel covers from the doors on my 1 owner Dormy all those years ago! I slung everything, slider, all the panels around the sink etc. I was just getting into busses -
I thought I'd give the old girl a facelift and make it 'look better' :oops: by making my own as the OG alabaster vinyl panels were looking tired and grubby.
OH how stupid I was! :evil:

If only I knew then what I know now - I'd love them back! :(

anyone else ever done a stupid thing to their VW before they realised the value of NOT doing it! ?

The earlies I've bought, have had the stupid stuff done to them already. :roll:

I binned the rear bumper because it had some dodgy welding done to it, but looked fine compared to the one I paid 50 EUR for now :wink:

I also threw away the rear bumper brackets along with it, because they were dirty and slightly rusty :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wanna slap myself in the head now :?

I skipped the best part of a 72 Westy interior years ago, as I didnt have the space to keep it ..... but really, I did. I was being minimalist at the time :roll:

Clem said:
I skipped the best part of a 72 Westy interior years ago, as I didnt have the space to keep it ..... but really, I did. I was being minimalist at the time :roll:

I still like your curtain story better

Come on Mike fess up

Seb

Latest posts