Timing confusion?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodes4130

Reaction score
Hi all Im trying to sorting out my timing
I read a few diff settings but not sure which I should be aiming for

My engine is a AS case 1641 with pict 34 carb and a vacuum advance dizzy (elec points)

What sould I be looking at either static or engine running I do have a strobe but sadly doesn't have rpm on it

Any advice will be great cheers

Tony

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this should help .. :mrgreen:

Ace cheers guys
Quick question how would I tell diffence between a vacuum advance and a dual advance distributor
Cheers again tony

ok heres some dizzy types you might see yours there http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/electrical_common/distributors.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..basicly single vac dizzy timming advances by a vac unit
dual advance timming advances by vac unit and centrifugal force.. 009 dizzy advances through centrifugal force only the 009 was more of a racing dizzy and is renowend for having a flat spot at about 1500 rpm as the engine advances but the dizzy has not and is laggin a little then as the revs increase the dizzy catches up and were off for some they run brilliant for others they are a pig..pays youre money takes your choice...now if you have a vac unit on the side of youre dizzy looks like this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distributor-vacuum-unit-VW-Beetle-Type-2-/280917275062?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4167f971b6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you need to check its working there should be a pipe coming of it give it a wipe and put it in ya gob and suck on it like youre trying to suck an orange through a hose pipe then seal it with the end of youre tongue you should feel an air tight seal then do the same again but look inside the dizzy you should see it turn/move and stay untill you realese the air you will need to remove the rotor arm to see it properly...if you havnt got a vac unit on the side then youve got a 009 fitted so you time it as per the specs ....sorry if im teaching you to suck eggs...or oranges l.o.l. hope this helps.. :mrgreen:

No worries about the egg and orange sucking :lol: I was the one that asked the question
I was just confused if I had a centrifugal advance as well as a vacuum advance dissy as I have a vacuum part and pipe then electronic points wasn't sure if the electronics worked as the dual advance part
Cheers tony

no not as far as i know the elecy points sit in the old points plate and advance as the plate turns so they act just like points but without the need to constanly adjust the gap and once timmed youre timming shouldnt move like it did with the old points... :mrgreen:

Ace cheers for that :D Makes sense now

Well I tried to set it but couldn't get the engine to idle lower than 1000 (on my aftermarket rev gauge) for some reason thought it might be slightly out i set it anyways
Then took it for a spin but when I pull of in first it shakes the arse out the back end not good :(
So I think I gona have to put it back where it started
One step forward two steps back!! Typical vw fixing :lol:

Latest posts