To patina or not or rat look?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6455

Reaction score
Hi guys
I've been looking at all the patina/slammed rat look buses that are in the gallery and am thinking of trying to attempt a similar look but not really sure where to start?
Do I need to scotch brite the paint work to dull it up a bit or maybe one of my mrs Brillo pads,she is lowered at the front(the bus not the mrs)and has an adjustable beam but not sure what type
Any tips,recommendations ,advice or do you think I should leave as is here's some pics as she is now
Let me know what you think
Cheers mark[photobucke
1fe6acd1.jpg
t]
5603bb19.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg

ship it out to arizona, leave it in the desert a few year and hey presto authentic patina

anything else is abit rubbish, unless it done well ( see the latest gadget bus repairs)

its you bus, so do what you want/like, but you did ask :lol:

leave it as it is dude, looks nice and clean. You can't fake patina/rat look, well you can try but it WILL look shit ;)
this is only my opinion but i've never seen a well-faked ride :)
jon

Yep your probably right cloud coockoo land comes to mind or I could just strip all the paint off let it go even more rusty and clear coat it

As the wheeler brothers sang
Dream dream dream dream dream :)

the daddy said:
leave it as it is dude, looks nice and clean. You can't fake patina/rat look, well you can try but it WILL look shit ;)
this is only my opinion but i've never seen a well-faked ride :)
jon

Cheers daddy I should be grateful of what I've got and not what I cant have although I think gadgets bus is the dogs clangers

lembo said:
Id say leave it how it is, "fake" patinas abit pants.

cheers lembo
i am now a confirmed knob head for even thinking of it
:shock: :mrgreen:

Stay as is mate,nothing looks worse than "Home made Patina "it just doesnt work buddy.... :) its a clean bus just enjoy :) :)

Don't touch your van (don't even wash it) and in 10 years time, you will start to get the look you crave for ;)

Saw a guy in custom car that had ratted a rod by hanging chains off it at various points and driving around so they scraped and chipped the paint and then threw buckets of sea water over it.
I think its easy to fake badly, but hard to fake so it looks authentic.

Personally I think the cool thing about patina is that its old, kinds defeats the object by faking it.

Latest posts