transmission input shaft HELP!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
I've taken my engine out as had a lot of rattling noise coming from the gear box and the clutch went, looks like some oil contamination on the clutch but can't really see what the rattling is but

If I grab the input shaft I can just pull it out, not all the way as it won't clear the seal but I can slide it in and out 3 inches or so. Is this normal?

I've researched on the net and it looks like to remove them you should have to open the box take off a circlip and unscrew them so I am guessing mine is nackered :cry:

Your right, it shouldn't pull out and needs fixing. If the case is undamaged and the bearings and synchros etc. are good then its worth getting it repaired.

I have heard of the circlip coming adrift and allowing the retaining sleeve to slide up, which in turn allows the input shaft to simply unscrew. If you drain the gearbox and remove the bellhousing it will be quite obvious how it all hangs together. You might be lucky and have a simple fix!

Oh, and make sure you can undo the filler plug so you're not left with a dry gearbox! :)

nice one thanks for that. Box pops out of 4th anyway so probably had it's day

managed to get a replacement off ebay, allegedly refurbished but judging by the inch of sludge I've just cleaned out of the inside I'm guessing not! either way the input shaft doesn't pull out so I guess at least I have bits to make 1 working box now

Nice diagram on that post: when circlip number 11 breaks it allows gear/collar number 10 to slide back along the spline which in turn allows shaft number 2 to unscrew from item number 3.

I'm guessing my circlip is in place as I tried to pull the shaft completely out but something stops it coming which I guess is the circlip, I reckon something is up with the threaded bar in there, probably missing.

I'm going to stick this other gearbox in anyway and see if it's any good thenmight have a tinker with the spare and see if i can refurb. Although parts seem a bit hard to come by from searching the usual suppliers

I've been trying to picture what scenario could have unfolded that left the circlip in place but allowed the shafts to separate and I can only think it could be the breaking of part number 3 (a double ended screw essentially). That or catastrophic failure of the gear/collar! I'd be interested to know what you find when you get around to it :)

Best of luck and hope your spare is a good un!

Zcat7 said:
I've been trying to picture what scenario could have unfolded that left the circlip in place but allowed the shafts to separate and I can only think it could be the breaking of part number 3 (a double ended screw essentially). That or catastrophic failure of the gear/collar! I'd be interested to know what you find when you get around to it :)

Best of luck and hope your spare is a good un!

yea I know what your saying but I think from the diagram and the open box on the dining table that splined sleeve is one piece with the gear so if that had slid back far enough to allow it to unscrew the box would have stopped working and when the input shaft pulled out the gear would have dropped off inside the gear box.

I suspect the route cause will be previous owner related but i'll find out in a week or so when I pull it!

One thing I have learnt is the dining room table is hands down the best place to strip a gearbox! that is if your entertained by your missus having a hissy! :lol:

bluenose said:
Zcat7 said:
One thing I have learnt is the dining room table is hands down the best place to strip a gearbox! that is if your entertained by your missus having a hissy! :lol:

Yes and good luck with that too! :lol:

Latest posts