Twin carbs for stock 1600 single port engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tikiwagon

Reaction score
I have a stock 1600 single port engine and want a bit more power(common problem i know!) Iwas thinking of going down the twin carb route but it is a single port engine any good quality kits out there that work, just need a bit more top end, going up hills is painful, also would a good exhaust(currently stock) distributor(Currently old 009) change be worthwhile?Not asking for a miracle but just a bit more power on a budget

My advice don't bother. Save some money up, get dp heads, then think about carbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree the single ports can work very well.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC129K1401/weber-34-ict-carb-kit-t1-2-sp-or-use-ac1297401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I maybe go vacumn advance on the dizzy but go for a better flowing exhaust:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251816/vintage-speed-sports-exhaust-system-t2-68-79-std-tail-pipe/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex VW Heritage said:
I disagree the single ports can work very well.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC129K1401/weber-34-ict-carb-kit-t1-2-sp-or-use-ac1297401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I maybe go vacumn advance on the dizzy but go for a better flowing exhaust:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC251816/vintage-speed-sports-exhaust-system-t2-68-79-std-tail-pipe/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just read the review on the Heritage site, and a guy had his set up etc, and was not at all happy with the kit and the quality... Maybe that it wasn't set up correctly, not sure, but not very reassuring.

Set up properly twin carbs make a difference on any engine. More air + more fuel = more power! Simple! I expect the guy was a fucking idiot and didn't know what he was doing :roll:

Im still trying to find out more about these anyone with a single port done the conversion and if so what kit is best(dont want to buy cheap crap from ebay)

Hello, I have just fitted twin weber 34s on a single port although a 1641, plus a vintage speed exhaust, huge difference much more relaxed driving, although my old solex was pretty knackered. Went for a weber kit with the csp bell crank linkage which seems good, and tidy :). Although not the cheapest, think Eurocarb do a genuine weber kit with empi hex linkage for sp for ~£330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had twin ICT's on my single port 1600. Worked very well until the engine dropped a valve and killed itself (nothing to do with the carbs, just a very old engine).

I still have the inlet manifolds if you are not getting a complete kit to start with.

Hello

I have twin carbs on my single port

They work well once set up and defiantly give it a bit more oomph

Don't bother with the empi hex bar as its poo

Get genuine webers with a csp bell crank not cheap but you get what you pay for

Norm :D

I foolishly didn't go for twin 34's on my SP - which was ported had a c25 cam in it. I went for a 32/36 and regretted it all the way - it had more power and ran great but it was a cheap ebay purchase which was a stupid mistake.

go for twin 34's. cb performance hex bar linkages are fine (got one on my 40's)

get those inlet manifolds off the previous post

sorted!

Thanks for the info, I rang Eurocarb today and they were very helpful will go for the twin 34s and Csp linkage (when i get the funds!)

smokehouse said:
you do know from sp to dp is only 3 hp on a stock 1600

About time someone pointed this out. It's also worth knowing that tp engines produce their max torque at higher rpm - not always the best place for a bus. I run sp engines (1600 and 1776) using twin Dell FRD 34s that I've had for years. Coupled with single quiet pack exhaust they give a lot of grunt for a bus at lower revs than tp engines. The baby Dells are also easier to set up than ICTs and give around 28mpg on a run. Not easy to find a good set these days though...................

Best power boost I had on my stock SP was to take some of the slack out of the throttle cable, so the plate throttle is fully open when the accelerator is all the way down.
Mine had sloppy linkages (see Butty's bits) and a badly adjusted cable, so flat to the floor, the throttle was still half closed.

+1 for the vacuum advance as well; the engine will pick up quicker when you floor the throttle under load than with a centrifugal-only advance.

Apologies if you've already checked this out, but it's got to be cheaper than a DP or twin carb conversion.

HTH

Thanks i have done the throttle cable awhile ago and makes a lot of diiference(mine was only on half throttle all the time too!)

Going to the the States in a couple of weeks just wondering if they might be cheaper out there, any suppliers in SOCAL that do them for a single port engine that are good and not cheap chinese copies
Thanks

Latest posts