Tyre help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calibay

Reaction score
I need a bit of advice

I have a bay running the standard 14 inch wheels

Need some new tyres, I know the right size is R14 185 C

The side wall are very high and I'd like to reduce that slightly.

I was looking at maybe some 185 75 C with a load rating of 102. These are made by good year.

Any thoughts?

Those will be fine. :)

You'll only have a 4% reduction in wheel diameter, so you'll barely notice it I'd imagine. Don't forget that's also a 4% reduction in circumference, so your engine will rev higher/speedo will be out by that :)

Tofufi said:

You'll only have a 4% reduction in wheel diameter, so you'll barely notice it I'd imagine. Don't forget that's also a 4% reduction in circumference, so your engine will rev higher/speedo will be out by that :)

If one has the standard 47 horsepower engine, acceleration will improve slightly, but maximum TRUE speed (i.e. not the speedometer reading), is likely to be reduced, as the engine will by "under-geared". So far as I have been able to determine, optimal gearing is obtained, when 185 R14 tyres are half-worn!

naskeet said:
Tofufi said:

If one has the standard 47 horsepower engine, acceleration will improve slightly, but maximum TRUE speed (i.e. not the speedometer reading), is likely to be reduced, as the engine will by "under-geared". So far as I have been able to determine, optimal gearing is obtained, when 185 R14 tyres are half-worn!

Nigel,, you don`t half make me chuckle :lol: <<<< see !! that`s me chuckling. You really must have the keenest wit on any forum I`ve ever been on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So going back to your proposal of the optimum gearing, you could perhaps suggest these slightly smaller tyres as a worthwhile modification for those amongst us that have,, shall we say,, tired engines, as that should increase longevity with a less well endowed engine. Perhaps we could even recommend that every third set of tyres we should go to a slightly smaller tyre and the engine will then last forever !!! Puuuurrrrfeck :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We`ve just saved some motors :p :mrgreen: :p

Latest posts