Tyres / Stance Thread - Lets see what ya runnin!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sprintstar67 said:
Well, here is my work in progress!
IMG-20130507-00550.jpg

JK 4" narrowed ball joint front beam, with Transporterhaus dropped spindles, rear is one spline with Transporterhaus adjustable springplates. Quite a lot of trimming to do around the back end to get some travel back and haven't sorted shocks out yet, but happy with progress so far!
Wheels are SSP Fuchs, with 175/55 up front and 195/65 out back.

Andy.

What kind of trimming? Inner fender wells?

Remon T2a said:
Finally... 8)

Front : Red9 Wishbone, Chrome Sprintstars 4.5J with 165/55/15 (maybe a little lower)
Back (for now) 2 Splines, Chrome Sprintstars with 185/65/15

294jt4y.jpg

Lovin that 8)

Just wondering what combos you guys are running on 17" rims? As I'm a bit up in the air at the moment on what combo to go for. My bus will be lowered with tubs and drop spindles with adjustable spring plates on the rear end.

mozzie said:
Just wondering what combos you guys are running on 17" rims? As I'm a bit up in the air at the moment on what combo to go for. My bus will be lowered with tubs and drop spindles with adjustable spring plates on the rear end.

17's look awesome but I'd imagine the ride ain't great with the super low profiles?

Humphrey said:
mozzie said:

17's look awesome but I'd imagine the ride ain't great with the super low profiles?
Yeah I'm not interested in running super low profiles but was just wondering what different combos people were rolling on. As for the ride I don't think you drive a kombi for the comfy ride ;) I just drive them because they are the tits :D

Hey Mozzie

I guess the most important thing is to keep the rolling circumference similar to what others are running with 14's or 15's. There's a calculator you can use here. http://www.brspecialtuning.co.uk/Tyre%20size%20calculator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can probably go a little larger than most at the front since you're not going super low and you have tubs. At the rear I would take your gearing into consideration before you choose a combo. 15 x 185 65's appear to be the minimum most will go. Look for a rolling circumference around this.

aspro said:
Hey Mozzie

I guess the most important thing is to keep the rolling circumference similar to what others are running with 14's or 15's. There's a calculator you can use here. http://www.brspecialtuning.co.uk/Tyre%20size%20calculator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can probably go a little larger than most at the front since you're not going super low and you have tubs. At the rear I would take your gearing into consideration before you choose a combo. 15 x 185 65's appear to be the minimum most will go. Look for a rolling circumference around this.

Looking at the calculator and using the tire sizes on my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 27x8.50 14R (~215 75 14R) creates a difference from the desired circumference of a 185 65 R15 about 178mm larger or about 9% increase in tacho reading.

What is the original tire set up?

Does anybody know if this tire will create problems for the gearbox?
I've been running these tires since I got my bus in '98 and no problems so far.

Oh I obviously run stock height, but is a bit heigher than stock due to the tall tires. (ride quality and cornering are ace!)

Forgot my photobucket login so no photos now...

70-CA-Panel said:
aspro said:
Hey Mozzie

Looking at the calculator and using the tire sizes on my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 27x8.50 14R (~215 75 14R) creates a difference from the desired circumference of a 185 65 R15 about 178mm larger or about 9% increase in tacho reading.

What is the original tire set up?

Does anybody know if this tire will create problems for the gearbox?
I've been running these tires since I got my bus in '98 and no problems so far.

Oh I obviously run stock height, but is a bit heigher than stock due to the tall tires. (ride quality and cornering are ace!)

Forgot my photobucket login so no photos now...

Sorry, should have pointed out 15 x 185 65 is a minimum most people stick to for a rear tyre on a lowered bus. This does add some stress to the gearbox but is considered an acceptable sacrifice for a lowered bus. Stock set up would have been 14 185 82.

Putting your tyre combo figure in the calc only shows a 4% difference which should be fine. You probably find you have a slightly higher motorway speed as a result.

Hey aspro,

thanks for the clarification and info.
Sounds better. Also use a tachometer for cruising with a speedo as a guide for speed...
Also meant to say percentage increase on speedo not tacho :oops:

mozzie said:
Humphrey said:
mozzie said:

Yeah I'm not interested in running super low profiles but was just wondering what different combos people were rolling on. As for the ride I don't think you drive a kombi for the comfy ride ;) I just drive them because they are the tits :D

Well said! :)

Ha ha thanks bud. I was thinking of rolling 205/45/17's as a combo all round?

Work in progress...
IMG_20131013_181550_zpsacb9e73c.jpg

Front: Transporterhaus dropped spindles on standard beam (no adjusters) GAZ coil over shocks
Rear: Creative adjustable spring plates with standard shocks
Tyres: 185/55 15 front, 195/55 15 rear, tyres are XL (eXtra Load)

Looking really good Josh. Yell out if you want a beam with adjusters ;) should be on the road soon hey?

mozzie said:
Looking really good Josh. Yell out if you want a beam with adjusters ;) should be on the road soon hey?
Cheers Mozzie, I saw you were selling a beam! Should be on the road soon, just the bumpers to spray and a few bits and pieces to fit, aiming for DOVW.

Latest posts