Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on the engine conversion?
Would love to see this when its finished, what show are you debuting the van at?

Just read the entire thread. You have a very clean bus there man! Love the engine conversion and I can't wait to see it finished 8)

Been busy at work. And just come back from a short break in Finland (santaland).

Should be back on with some updates this week.

uber cool said:
Been busy at work. And just come back from a short break in Finland (santaland). Final world hey!

Shirker ;)

gninnam said:
uber cool said:
Been busy at work. And just come back from a short break in Finland (santaland). Final world hey!

Shirker ;)
you're right of course all lame girly excuses. I'll get right back on it. Although I have been eyeing up another aircooled project!

uber cool said:

Liking your choice of destination :mrgreen: I hope the weather was in your favor (=snowy and cold)!

Bit of an update. spent most of Dec sourcing parts etc for the engine. Had some oil hoses made up for the dry sump tank. Also bought gaskets, new oil seals and cam hoses for the engine. Mention Porsche and :shock: the engine part prices.

Also a bit concerned as I've never heard the engine run, it was last run approx 8 years ago. So decided to do a bit of the strip down and check oil pressure and cylinder pressures etc.

Lashed up the oil tank and starter motor and got 50PSI on the oil gauge, so quite pleased with that. Also got between 100 and 125 PSI on all cylinders expect No.1 which looks to have a corroded valve seat passing air.

So i'm going to have to strip and rebuild the engine, which has added a few more weeks to the build. So plan now is to refit the 1600 VW engine, take it for its MOT ( due 5th Jan) then off to the paint shop to have the side repainted that got hit on the ferry back in August.

This should then give me time and a clear garage to strip and rebuild the top end of the porsche engine.
porscheengine006-1.jpg

porscheengine007-1.jpg

The engine is a 1 year only, having Marelli dizzy and Zenith carbs. So if you see 911 marelli parts for sale let me know.
dist20005.jpg

I gotta say uber, that is 1 really tidy install of a Porsche motor. Will look great when done 8)

How you doin Andy. Just a quick shout to say hi &
thanks for your advice & tea the other night.Just as
well you tested the motor then eh! Its pretty impressive
to only have 1 piston not 100%. Thats porcshe 4 ya.
Its gonna be the dogs bollox mate
ps dont forget to have a word re:spice rack
Happy New Year to you the mrs & the girls
Cheers andy.............

Porsche engine now removed. 1600cc VW engine refitted :cry:
Only temp so I can get the MOT sorted and the side repainted. :mrgreen:
Bit bloody cold in the garage this week :shock:
westy020.jpg

Now have the porsche engine on a stand and with a T25 starter motor on the bellhousing- loaned off 'fannibatter on here' doggy username or what :oops:

Now going to do a proper job and strip the engine down to the pistons, then fit new rings, hone the bores. Recut the valve seats, new gaskets and seals all round.
westy017.jpg

So on with the MOT jobs, doing the 12v washer conversion following the 'Doris' tip on converting the washer air switch to a 12v switch. Dont think it needs anything else for the MOT, famous last words!

Looking good buddy..

uber cool said:

That's the great thing about air-cooled - you can play about and swap engines relatively easily compared to water-cooled.

cunning plan said:
Looking good buddy..

uber cool said:

That's the great thing about air-cooled - you can play about and swap engines relatively easily compared to water-cooled.
Your quite right, suppose the buzz word would be 'plug and play'

Heads now off, parts on order. Next few nights in the garage stripping and cleaning oh joy :roll:

Engine strip down started, for those that want to see the inner's of a porsche engine. Looks quite good, plan still for a decoke, recut valve seats, new rings and hone the bores.
100_2316.jpg

100_2321.jpg

100_2317.jpg

Check out the size of those valves :mrgreen:
100_2318.jpg