Uneven braking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwllms

Reaction score
Having a little trouble with my 68 drum brake bus braking unevenly. It's not too bad and still stops in a timely manner without having to wrestle with the steering wheel, but it's noticeable so it bothers me. It's completely random, sometimes doesn't do it for days and when it does, will pull either right or left. It *might* happen more often when I apply lots of pressure, like going down a very steep hill slowly but I could be mistaken. Once it happens, it's like it's activated and stays uneven for a bit then settles down again.

Have replaced all brake hoses, steering damper, had brakes checked by mechanic (says they look fine), bled system, adjusted brakes, adjusted handbrake, checked tire pressures, replaced master cylinder (was leaking a bit) and am now stumped!

A bit more info:

I have got 15's on rear and 14's on front (about to replace actually so all even) but can't see that bothering it. Only other minor thing is I was never really happy with the steering exactly. Hard to explain but the guys who set up tracking messed up first few attempts ended up with way too much lock on the right and not enough on the left. The steering wheel now doesn't line up and never really seemed centred properly, like the movement was off or something. But again that's very minor and there doesn't seem to be any excessive/uneven wear so I don't think its that.

Any ideas? Cheers

Adam

I'm guessing you are a bit lowered ? I'd look to see if anything is catching or rubbing or not releasing on the suspension. Are you T Hous spindles ? How is your tyre wear? Are the tyres feathering their treads? And have you completely changed your fluid recently? Sounds like something is catching / rubbing when you're hitting the brakes more than an issue in the brakes. Look for rub marks Possibly a worn shock not up to it, or beam needs grease or a snapped leaf possibly.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, hope its an easy one

Poor bloke, he's been waiting a while for that reply!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here in a air B&B in the scabby part of the Isle Of Dogs chuckling like a fourteen year old schoolboy all by myself. So how did that happen then? And have I got to wait another year for him to reply again ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, bet he's sold it now :mrgreen:

Latest posts