Upgrade on 1600 sp ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.nathan

Reaction score
Just been reading the other posts about single/twin port engines.
I like the idea of running my original 1600 sp which i have done a top end rebuild on and runs fine although a little underpowered.
Any body recommend a better exhaust system for this and is it worth it? Do i need to add a better carb?
All the info i have, tells you to upgrade on tp motors only but i want to keep my reliability.

I'm keen to see any responses here too.

Though I suspect its the same as a twin port in essence with the exception of the inlet manifold.
:D

My bus runs a 1600SP and i run back from Jambo at a steady 70? apart from the hills of course and i cant imagine a TP would improve on this and would have the hot port problem.
Was thinking of up grading my engine about 12 months back but a good tune sorted it for me. I suppose if your really interested in doing anything twin carbs would be on your list of wants followed by a free flow zorst.

You can get Weber 34 ICTs for the SP, them and good exhaust, the Bluebird Customs single quietpack is excellent. Maybe electronic ignition wouldn't go a miss either.

I was thinking of a single quiet pack exhaust with a twin throat weber.
Can i still run heat exchangers ?

Yes if you should be able to use heat exhchangers if you use the header type manifold. I wonder if higher ratio rockers would help a bit too?? :roll:

currylager said:
Yes if you should be able to use heat exhchangers if you use the header type manifold. I wonder if higher ratio rockers would help a bit too?? :roll:

I was thinking about ratio rockers too, they are easy bolt on power.

By a twin throat Weber do you mean a, 32/36 progressive. They are a waste of space IMHO, they don't get over the problem of the carb being mounted 5 miles from the heads, the VW manifold setup is very ineffiecient, because of the increased volume of the carb you will be very prone to icing. You'd be better off with the twin 34 ICTs or Dell'orto 34 FRDs.

Cheers Speedwell68 I was thinking 34 icts how easy are the manifolds to source as I've not spent any time looking for SPs' and cant remember stumbling across em.....

It would have been a good idea to get the heads flowed while they were off. I know it's a bit late now, but if the engine ever needs to come out again http://www.vwracing.net do a wicked porting job that is tested on a flow bench. They have to use 1300 sp heads for racing & are making 100+ horse with a single 40 carb froma 1300cc engine.

The restriction on any VW engine is in the head. You can get some small gains with exhaust, carbs etc, but there is a limit to how much gas you can get in & out. Open this restriction up & then you will see some good results.

It's about £150 to have a pair flowed.

Araon said:
Cheers Speedwell68 I was thinking 34 icts how easy are the manifolds to source as I've not spent any time looking for SPs' and cant remember stumbling across em.....

I have just checked and SSP claim to do them. If not give Eurocarb a call.

A pair of 34icts are just right for a 1600 or 1641. (beware they don't have chokes so when cold may run a bit lumpy - soon smooths out once warmed up).

Single port manifolds including fitting kit for above £50.

Electronic ignition, electronic fuel pump, fuel regulator, service, tune up.

Possible external oil cooler (extra mph).

All add a little bit extra.

Most people advise going to twin port heads - you could do this at a later date once all the above have been done (a bit at a time).

Latest posts