Van won't start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandkatrina

Reaction score
I just replaced the clutch on my 71 bay, and in my haste wired the coil up wrong and fried the points, since then I have replaced the points and the the coil hopefully wired it up the correct way checked the fuses but the darn thing won't fire. Any ideas please

ok thanks for the reply, I had a quick look this morning theres a bare wire which goes from the centre out to the outer casing , thats intact, didnt have time to remove the points and plate but will have a look at the w.e. chheers again

ok guys, getting my van started is not going well,
changed the points
tried a different coil and dizzy
here are a few pics if anyone can see anything obvious, which wires go where on the coil please, really need to get this going as I'm getting nagged of the kids constantly

old dizzy which I fried
ac65bf5e.jpg

old coil
12d5443d.jpg

new dizzy
IMG_20120420_194704.jpg

IMG_20120420_194655.jpg

new coil
IMG_20120420_185821.jpg

thanks in advance for any ideas

When you say it now won't fire, are you getting the oil and generator lights on the dash when you click the ignition on? Is the starter motor turning the engine over? Just thinking it might have cooked the ignition switch on the back of the ignition barrel. On my old beetle the coil slipped down out the bracket and shorted out and it cooked the ignition switch. Had to hot wire it for a week until I could get a replacement :lol:

When you say won't fire do you mean no spark at the plugs?

When you changed the dizzy did you replace is exactly in the same position and not 180 degrees out?

Apologies for asking simple questions but sometimes these things are so obvious you assume they are correct.

Latest posts