Vanfest California Trip Build 69 Patina Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im very relieved to hear this...I really don't like lowering cars personally. Oh sure, I have done it many times for myself and for customers, but when I have something stock and proper, I prefer to leave it that way.

But if it has been customized already...all bets are off!!! :satanlook:

Don't spend any money on it, looks like a real pile of old junk! You are decieving yourself if you think anyone would want to buy this old heap when they could have a lovely brand spanking new one. They come out of Brasil and are all lovely and fresh and new! Shiny new paint, no nasty musty smells, no spiders, no rot, no grief.
Tell you what, you run it around over here to prove it's mechanically sound and I'll take a crazy gamble and give you £3000 for it. I know, I must be a lunatic, but that's the gamble I'm willing to take for the sake of US/UK relations. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you are right Pete...off to the crusher then!

The local scrap yard will give me a couple hundred dollars for it...thats probably more realistic.

I will just fly over and hitch a ride to the show then...anyone have an extra seat?

Looks like a thing of beauty to me, love my beaten up '68, but this has a different dimension to it. Looks nice and original whereas mine is smacked up and badly painted way back when.
Keep it stock my friend and they will be beating down your door. Your bus, but please let it go to someone who will appreciate and treasure it. The really good ones are running out....... beaten up wrecks like mine are not so rare. ;)

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I spent a little time today on the front nose and managed to push out the vast majority of the dents from behind...looks much straighter up front.
699873.jpg

Ive been tempted by a buyer that wants to buy it just as it sits, where it sits...what to do...what to do?

I suppose I could sell it and find another one, but I dont know if I could get it titled in time to get it on the boat... If I sell the thing...anyone have a spare seat and a sleeping bag? I will need a ride to the show!

Here's the M code plate for those that like that sort of thing
699874.jpg

Some more detail photos
700075.jpg

Original rubber dries up after 41 years in the California sun...go figure?

700076.jpg

Before the Deluxe trim went back on... I love the wear around the handle and the top of the door.

Fixed the oil leak today...a case of cheesy chrome valve covers and bales...back to original and looking good! Exhaust swap is next... she will be running sweet!

Wow...a red interior would look awesome!

I'll post some interior shots once I get it cleaned up in there. The seats are a little sad at the moment, but TMI is just up the road from me :D .(Im thinking grey though to match the door panels)

Im trying to decide if I should dig up a Westy bed and cabinet for the back...sure would make the trip more comfortable for me, and perhaps it would make the Bus more desirable too?

OK...I managed to score a nice nose emblem from a buddy yesterday as well as a full width Westy bed in blue plaid with matching pad for the back. :party0053: (A man needs a place to sleep!)

The big question is...should I do the interior up to match it and have it be a functional weekender camper, or leave the passenger seats in it? (or give the buyer choice?)

I would suggest a weekend camper is likely to be a easier sell as it optimises what these vans can do - day trip and then camp over - maybe not prolonged like a westy could but a fine weekend away in blighty or europe..........

which btw is an added plus and the reason I was happy to go LHD, as I intended originally to tour europe with the family...........

D

I pulled out the rear bench and fitted the new Westy full width bed and pad...I am really really liking the plaid in there. :party0009:
I think I am going to make seat covers for the front seats that match. I may even be able to whip one up for the center seat and still keep it in the Van.
700618.jpg

The original grey panels cleaned up beautifully too.
700619.jpg

And I finished the color sand on the body getting rid of the surface rust and all the fade. Now I can polish the one side and a good coat of wax and it's looking good!
700621.jpg

By the way it has a late model sliding side window in it which is very cool...it was HOT today and that extra ventilation was wonderful.
700620.jpg

After the polish I want to switch out the exhaust...I have a nice single quiet pack to put on it, the muffler on it right now has a Beetle tweeter pipe jammed in the hole where the damper pipe goes and it flops around like mad, big ol exhaust leak...that just has to go!
700622.jpg

Just for fun...
Here's a pic of a couple of my other Busses...65 21 Window (almost done) and a 68 Dormobile.
700624.jpg

And an average old 1970 Cadillac
700625.jpg

Put on the new exhaust yesterday...much quieter but I think I still have a leak...need to check the heater boxes more closely.
Im off to get a bit of touch up paint mixed to match, then off to Wolfsburg West for parts. They have the plaid material that matches the bed and that will be sweet to recover the center seat and the front seats. I am also going to grab some panelling for the roof and cargo door.

Im aiming towards having a little fun with it too. Im pretty skilled at faux signwriting and I just cant stop looking at it like a canvas.
Ive had mates tell me "dont do it" but when an idea just wont stop popping in your head, it is because it needs to be done!

Down in Newport Beach California, there is a place called the Balboa Bay Club. Its been there since the 1940's and has long been a place for the rich and famous to play. About 5 years ago they did a major rebuild and it is now a 5 star hotel and resort, but in it's real "heyday" it was a swanky, members only affair, where people like Humphrey Bogart would drop by for a spell when out on his yacht.
Doing a little research on the place, more hints kept popping up that just make it more attractive as the theme.

Bay%20Window%201955.jpg

This is a copy of the newsletter that I found in an antique store...inside there is even an ad for the local VW dealer (this in 1955)

IMG_0698.jpg

Here is a photo of the sign out front that was there for so many years.

Another little funny bit is that the members refer to it as the BBC!

So...the Balboa Bay Club Courtesy Shuttle is on it's way to becoming a reality.
If someone doesnt like the graphics, they can be wiped off with a little mineral spirits, but Ive just gotta give the van my creative touch!

The Caddy is a little bizarre to be sure!

My two boys camped out in the Bus last night...the bed was too tempting for them!
I loaded up on a ton of new parts and materials yesterday for the Bus and will make quick work of getting it all finished off.
Tomorrow night my brother and his gal are going to stitch up the seat upholstery for the front and center seat in the matching plaid material of the bed. Ive got new panelling material for the headliner, new seat pads and seat stand mats, and a whole bunch more.

Im swamped with computer work today so Im being restrained from ripping into it today...really want to, but I need to pay the bills first!!

Its gotta be done and on the boat by the end of next week!

Ahhhhhgggghh...what was I thinking?

Well, we all need challenges in our lives dont we? And this is a fun one!

Im shipping with CFR and on the UK side it will be handled by Kingstown. I have a mate on that side that will get the Bus when it lands and have it prepped and pointed West for me.

How about you?

Latest posts