VIN number location

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.sim

Reaction score
MOT inspector can't find VIN number, is it behind passenger seat or is that just M plate ?

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

Hi Martin

In addition to the M plate, there should be a stamped plate behind the drivers seat, headed VOLKSWAGENWERK AG. The VIN is stamped on that.

Good luck.

K

martin.sim said:
Cheers guys I'll have a look

Did you find it, Martin?

Out of interest, WTF do you do if it ain't there? :?

KevH said:
martin.sim said:
Cheers guys I'll have a look

Did you find it, Martin?

Out of interest, WTF do you do if it ain't there? :?

I very nearly found this out the hard way - went for my first MOT in the van, naively without checking. Neither locations had the VIN, so MOT centre couldn't look up the vehicle ID to even begin the test. I drove back home, and fortunately found one of the VIN plates in a bag of spares from the previous owner - and again fortunately, it matched the V5.

I'm pretty sure without it it could well be seized and crushed if the police found out - as effectively it cannot be identified?? Could be wrong with that though, just thinking back to some police interceptor programs! :lol:

Just to add for anyone it might help, the vin/chassis number is also included on the M plate in a slightly diffrent form. On the plate of a 70's van it's at the top left corner of the m plate(can't remember where on the plate it is for '68/'69 vans)
It's 8 numbers rather than 10 because they don't include the model digits, but if your van is a kombi you just add '23........' then the 8 numbers, or '22........' for a microbus, or '21.......' for a panelvan.
If all three copies of the VIN number are missing, you're buggered ;)

Still in garage waiting for a break hose so not had chance to check yet. Dunno what you can do if they ain't there, stamp em back in :)

Latest posts