Volksworld Show 08 - Please note Updated March 22nd 2008

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we can`t wait to go ..all ready and waiting , going in convoy from ipswich suffolk.....any one wants to tag along feel free.shall be leaving at 7.30 ish on sat morning :D :D :D
see ya all there dudes and dudettes

Ok - bit slow on the uptake with this one, and only realised it was this weekend when the chap at VW Heritage this morning asked me if I was going! :oops:
As I'm not going to Somerset to get the van until Wednesday, we are going to pop up all the way from near Guildford....
Just to save us reading 11 pages, can someone give a quick update of where most of you might be in terms of a line up - be great to put a face to some of these names on EarlyBay.com and say hello...
Is there a 'best' day to come up?

Hi all,

well I was very excited to bring my newly purchased Cali 70 Deluxe to Sandown, I was waiting for my reg papers from the DVLA to come this week and a letter did arrive on my doorstep....DISASTER!! :(

they want to inspect it at Wimbledon on Tues 1st :( sods law :roll:

I only live 5 miles away so really frustrating, Chance it??

Streetboy

I drove mine to Vanfest on US plates, I was insured and MOT'd. I'm not sure of the legalities but I could not have done any more.

streetboy said:
Hi all,

well I was very excited to bring my newly purchased Cali 70 Deluxe to Sandown, I was waiting for my reg papers from the DVLA to come this week and a letter did arrive on my doorstep....DISASTER!! :(

they want to inspect it at Wimbledon on Tues 1st :( sods law :roll:

I only live 5 miles away so really frustrating, Chance it??

If you look through this post here,Carol mentions it couild be ok if you US bus still has up to date licence plates on it (stickers still in date) There might be a bit of explaining to do if you get a tug either way depending on the police officer.Might get away with only a £60 fine for failure to display a current tax disc? If you do do it,take every bit of paperwork with you and your passport for ID too just incase.If they get really shirty they could stop you from continuing with your journey there and then and you'll have to get it recovered home.
I was going to borrow some trade plates just in case but my docs have came through ok.But if I was to chance it and I couldn't get trade plates I would probably try and get in the middle of a convoy of other old VW's :wink:

My bus isn't going to be ready. Just been told today that the oven is broken at the paintshop and they have just sacked their sprayer. Shite timing. I'm gutted, I've really been looking forward to this and my bus won't be ready for another week. :(
I shall come up on Sunday in my Fastback and hopefully see some of you there. Hope the weather improves :?

bananacustard said:
My bus isn't going to be ready. Just been told today that the oven is broken at the paintshop and they have just sacked their sprayer. Shite timing. I'm gutted, I've really been looking forward to this and my bus won't be ready for another week. :(
I shall come up on Sunday in my Fastback and hopefully see some of you there. Hope the weather improves :?

Shit happens dude. Sorry for you :( See you on Sunday, and thanks for keeping me in the picture.

Anyone want to be in? Call me! 07977547039 :wink:

Clem said:
bananacustard said:

Shit happens dude. Sorry for you :( See you on Sunday, and thanks for keeping me in the picture.

Anyone want to be in? Call me! 07977547039 :wink:
Like to help but........
1. I might only stay for the Sat or
2. I'll be sleeping in the bus so ill have to move it on Sat afternoon.

So i guess its no good.

MD

VW aircooled, think I'll chance it as it has the us plates, well the rear one and I had a front made up which is better than nowt.

Two chances I guess :wink:

Cheers guys for keeping your fingers crossed for us, it worked !
It was the wheel bearings, over looked the fact they still had 40 year old grease in them :? , they did well to get us as far as they did !!!
You live and learn !
So we got stranded, stayed the night in a motel, phoned around to get a recovery truck to take us to custom and speed parts which were about 125 miles south of where we had broken down.
Managaed to get him to pick us and bus up at 5 am on thursday morning so we could be at the vw shop when they opened and then we were hoping they had tools and parts to get us going...
We rolled up tghere at 8am exactlly, unloaded and the guys there dropped everything to get us rolling again, time was not on our side and we worked out we would need to be driving by 11.30am
They found the prob, changed the bearings fitted new shoes and we were back on the road by 12 pm !!!
Pedal to the metal for the next 5 hours, and we made the ferry with minutes to spare! what a trip.
Got in to the uk yesterday at midday about £600 lighter :shock: , drove to Heathrow and got stuck in traffic for bloody ages !
Finally picked up our friends then got lost again and made it to Sandown by the evening.
we were cleaning the bus at 7 last night in the rain and after that we headed straight for the pub for some well earned beers!

cheers for your well wishes

see you at the show ?

steve

Nice one F.... £600 :shock: not a cheap festival then.... hope you get your monies worth and thoroughly enjoy the weekend....

I just wanted to say "A BIG THANKS to CLEM." :D

You did a great job organising the EarlyBay line up and we had a great weekend.

Cheers!

faux said:
I just wanted to say "A BIG THANKS to CLEM." :D

You did a great job organising the EarlyBay line up and we had a great weekend.

Cheers!

I third that,good job Clem,well done with all the organising,it can't be easy so thanks dude :D

I forth that too.....great line up and cheers for the invite.......sorry i was talking much.............combo of early morning and severe hang over!!!

I fifth that ( :?: ), well done Clem nice to be made welcome.
Thanks to all had a good day today, with nice company:-
carole ta for bringing awning
maddog hope the hangovers gone

Got lots to fit and fix (CV u/s) nice noises on way home (turned the radio up it seemed to help)

ianscooby said:
I fifth that ( :?: ), well done Clem nice to be made welcome.
Thanks to all had a good day today, with nice company:-
carole ta for bringing awning
maddog hope the hangovers gone

Got lots to fit and fix (CV u/s) nice noises on way home (turned the radio up it seemed to help)

:lol: Now that ive eaten, yes the heads alot better cheers dude.........
Will be nice to sleep in a warm bed too as it all went wrong on Sat night.
I blame the egg sandwich!! There's no way it was anything to do with the apples :wink:

Oh and get an exhaust like mine and you wont hear the CV :D

6th that!
Glad everyone seemed to get home ok (ian) and thanks for helping me with the boys Nic! Maddog, good to see you recovered at last :lol: hey....... that caterpiller was still on my bumper when i got home, cheeky bugger he was :wink:

Thanks to everyone that joined in and turned up to support the line up. Pics tomorrow when I can be arsed :)
Sorry for the guys that didnt make it and thanks for keeping me posted, we were able to invite some people in from the car park to fill up gaps and it made a few peoples weekend :)
Thanks to Rikki for the help in getting it all together also.

It seemed pretty busy all weekend so I guess the public were interested. Hopefullt the organisers will have felt the space afforded to us was wisely used?

Good night all .....

Latest posts