Wanted: A longer 4th gear producing 4.57:1 final drive

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stevec said:
Has anyone got a fourth gear for sale? It's to go in a 002 CO box to lower them revs :D

Thank you

When you change ring and pion al your gears are better! What for engine (power) is in it?

http://weddleindustries.com/products/new-products/new-388-ratio-vw-type-1-ring-pinion-sets-made-usa

4.57 set for VW 002 Bus (Made in USA)
Price $369.82
Part # 5B-457E
Hardened 3rd-4th Spacer Sleeve
for Threaded Pinion Shaft
Price $10.17
Part # 5AB-SLEEVE
Special locking nut
for 5A-344E, 5A-388E, or 5B-457E
Price $12.16
Part # 5AB-NUT

Thanks mate. I was hoping that someone had some secondhand bits out of a 2ltr box really as I'm on a budget.
I've currently got a 1600 tp with twin 34 webers but I'm planning on upgrading to a 1776 this year so thought I would get my box ready

I too would like a taller top gear for lower revs, what is involved in installing the new ring & pinion set to a 3 rib box?
could be an economical route to higher gearing, :idea: perhaps a possible group buy?

Stevec said:
Thanks mate. I was hoping that someone had some secondhand bits out of a 2ltr box really as I'm on a budget.
I've currently got a 1600 tp with twin 34 webers but I'm planning on upgrading to a 1776 this year so thought I would get my box ready

Don't know of parts from a 091 will fit in to a 002?

When you look at gearbox ratios you will see that the ratios of 091 and 002 are the same, the 002 has even a longer 4th 8)
VW changed the ring and pinion to match the gearing to the type4 70hp engine. Changing ring and pinion is the best way but you have to have some extra horses 8) when you lower revs (longer 4th) on your original 1600cc the speed of the cooling fan will also go down?

I's also possible to change tires? Higher or lower profile?

You can buy a R&P new to lower your revs that fits a 002 box but if you do that you might as well get the box re-built.

For reference I recently had my T25 box rebuilt with taller 4th and new R+P and that (including the donor box) was close to £2.5k; now a T2 box is a little cheaper but you ain't getting this done on a budget unless you know a gearbox builder and the bearings, syncro's, shafts and castings are all A1 in what you have. You also might want to check the bearings are readily available in the donor box you have as, I did say they were not readily available some time back

As Mike above says, the 1600 box does have a longer 4th than the 2.0 box (as in a the gear only, not the R+P) so a trick on a 2.0 box is using a 1600 4th to get an even better final drive and this lower revs for the same speed -this is what I have in my box and the one for sale here -you best get saving then ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt

Luckily a friend of mine at work is a trained box fitter before so I'm booking him overtime and he's sorting it for me. He's opened it up and said it all looks in pretty good condition, he's gonna give me a list of seals, gaskets and bushes etc. I'm basically getting it rebuilt so I thought while I'm at it i'll see if I can get the fourth gear done if it isn't too expensive.
So basically it's just a case of changing the R&P then? Do you know where I can get them cheap or cheapish??

Thanks

I think the US is the only place but there may be others on here that know better? They are not cheap though -maybe as low as £400 but also shipping / tax?

Thanks for the info.

Just talking to a mate and he said the same as mychatype3 about the cooling.
Think I'm gonna get my old box I'm taking out rebuilt with the longer 4th when I have the money and when I upgrade the engine, think that's the sensible way.

Thanks everyone foe the advice

Latest posts