What did you do with your early bay today

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3618_10151966693690444_931324523_n.jpg
[/quote]

Awesome!! 8)

Having noticed while on holiday in it a couple of weeks ago that I had a sticking brake calliper, I seized the good weather today to replace the calliper for a good one.

No pics of the brake work, so here's one of it a couple of weeks ago. :)

DSC_0369.jpg

Still averaged 25MPG even with the sticking brake calliper, 4 passengers and fully loaded with camping gear :)

As i missed out on Bugjam this year i thought id go for a spin today. Needed to pick my daughter up from Basingbourn army barracks (She's a cadet and was away on a training weekend) so took the Bus.
Gott some funny looks when i pulled in though :mrgreen: .

Rich

Broke down on the way home from bugjam!

17 miles from home the top pulley self destructed and embedded itself into my alternator!

Still a top weekend tho! :D

Engine out as down by 25% on compression....

stripped engine.....decoked.......lapped valves in.........renewed copper head gaskets......one had cracked......new JayCee pushrods tubes........new inlet manifold gaskets........coz they were fooked after just 6 weeks! rebuilt engine...tested and all good.....
once parts arrive tomoz i should be able to fit engine and back on road :)

Well i took the old girl on her first proper drive since buying her 2 weeks ago. Went to Eastbourne (To Show my Dad) and she drove very nice!
60mph average speed............. but about 25 to 30 up hill haha!
I got back from Eastbourne to Romford (Essex) in 1hr 40mins.... not bad at all for a 1969 Camper!

Saw a few other VW's Bays/Splits & Bugs along the way and gave a toot & wave and loads of people driving past giving the Thumbs up or waving....

Overall....

A Great fun days driving today!!!

Got it running and took it for a spin...after 20 years of sitting...

So I bought my '71 Westy from my aunt & uncle in June of '92, after it had been sitting since '86. In August of '92 I left for basic training and she sat for 20 years waiting for today. It took me the better part of 2 months but here she is...

:party0053:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayNS67I8H4

camit34 said:
Got it running and took it for a spin...after 20 years of sitting...

So I bought my '71 Westy from my aunt & uncle in June of '92, after it had been sitting since '86. In August of '92 I left for basic training and she sat for 20 years waiting for today. It took me the better part of 2 months but here she is...

:party0053:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayNS67I8H4

Brilliant! :D

Thanks! Appreciate it! We're pretty stoked...

And...about 2 weeks ago I finished redoing the top and putting in new canvas. Not a pro job at all but not too bad for a first time...

12%2520-%25201.jpg

General tidy up before Devon Dubfest next weekend. Stripped off all the faux suede material off the cushions to reveal the original mustard vinyl. Pulled the carpet out to reveal the original westy lino. Replaced handbrake handle. Fitted replacement cab step rubbers. Quick wash & dry and then put her back to bed in the garage. All in the glorious sunshine that has descended at last !

niklee1 said:
I made one of these that I purchased from fleabay...

2012-07-16_15-35-59_611.jpg

into one of these...
2012-07-16_15-35-44_400.jpg

...just need to tidy up the edges and paint the background whatever colour to match the van.

...and then to this!!!

P1060629.jpg

I also had the dash out for a general clean-up and re-paint.

Started with the dash pod...
P1060606.jpg

...then stripped it down...
P1060605-1.jpg

...cleaned up the plastic surround...it amazing what a nail brush and a bit of fairy will do!!!
P1060618.jpg

Cleaned, sanded and repainted the metal rings that hold the glass in place.
P1060612.jpg

P1060613.jpg

This finished dry assembled dash (need a little glue to hold the rings in place, as usual!!!)
P1060624.jpg

And while I had the spray can out...
P1060611.jpg

...and the back!
P1060619.jpg

This is a matt black so dries like this!
P1060617.jpg

Which is pretty cool for this!!!
P1060629.jpg

finished what i started yesterday.

2012-07-23200744.jpg

then had a quick drive up the street. couple of tweaks left to do. but its nearly there.

My floor panel arrived today. Realised it was the wrong one so arranged delivery to send it back. Seals come tomorrow. :D

Nothing exciting, just removed the n/side driveshaft to give it a quick paint and new boots, and replaced the n/side shock.

Latest posts