What did you do with your early bay today

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rippers said:
aogrady said:
Looks great, love the pinstriping!

How did you do the wiring, got and tips/pics on a gallery thread? I hope to be fitting my towbar sometime soon ish

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, I actually did a little write up here:- http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't really do the trailer wiring unless you convert the US lights like this as the Trailer has separate amber lights and brake lights.
I'll add I little bit as to watch I did with the trailer wiring for you :D

Thank you, I posted up on the above thread. :D

Alistair

Stripped out the rear suspension in preparation for the fitment of my new shiny adjustable spring plates. Box open, talc sprinkled over the rubber bushes and on they slid.......only to find they're the wrong size. The diameter of the torsion bar is smaller than the spring plate. Ordered the right ones for the year ('71) but something's wrong somewhere. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........a few "creative" words called out, I'll tell you.

Sorted out problem. It appears that my van is fitted with earlier torsion bars. Thanks to Creative Engineering for sorting it out.

Took mine for an MOT. FAILED :( pushrods have to much play in them on the off side only and the imbalance in the brake front offside and the hand brake is 9% efficient hmmm more to do

Continued working on the front suspension, new CE beam in, just rebuilt calipers to fit now and a few bits to reconnect. Took some photos of the old beam that the previous owner had lowered, it had to go!

jamesabell1978 said:
Continued working on the front suspension, new CE beam in, just rebuilt calipers to fit now and a few bits to reconnect. Took some photos of the old beam that the previous owner had lowered, it had to go!

Good grief! :shock: That's lethal! Luckilly you found it. Hope the PO hasn't improved anything else on your bus! :roll:

Alistair

Sadly the PO was an ex owner of a vw aircooled garage, I am slowly going through the vehicle but mainly the front suspension and engine were played with.

Took the engine out… ready for a strip and refresh…. stripped tinware.

image.jpg

Stripped inside of Van….

image.jpg

Took Cylinders off and Pistons out and now wondering how to get rust off, carbon off, and old hammerite overspray off the block without splitting it and a full rebuild……

image.jpg

image.jpg

Washing up liquid and a scrubber won't cut it I think!!

jamesabell1978 said:
Sadly the PO was an ex owner of a vw aircooled garage, I am slowly going through the vehicle but mainly the front suspension and engine were played with.

That's even worse! Hacking it is one thing, but he can't even weld properly, let alone cut it in a straight and level line! Makes you wonder the quality of the work on customers cars if he can't even fix his properlly

Alistair

Put my new safety star on 'belle... :D Shouldn't have as it was a Xmas prezzie but I am a grown up so allowed to break some rules!!! :lol:

Just got back from a 50 mile round trip to the hospital with the little 'un , she's fine and we both enjoyed the cruise with all the Christmas tunes blaring out of the radio :)
Bus ran like a dream too 8)

Latest posts