What is this big screw for??? Bottom of Engine Case

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been splitting cases and removing dizzys and noticed that the only screw that I have not taken out is this one:

In one of the gaps in the case I can see some sort of spring going up... It won't shift and I don't have a screw-driver big enough to get leverage enough to take it out.

Q: What is it for?
Q: Do I need to remove it if I am going to get the case sand blasted?.... Also is sandblasting the case a good idea? Any other way of getting it "proper" clean?
Q: I assume I just need a MASSIVE screwdriver to get it out?

Cheers

Mr1

Its the oil pressure relief valve.
Will have to come out if your doing a rebuild.
You get the screw cap, a spring and a little piece of metal that looks like a bullet with a hole in(where the spring locates).
Needs to be removed to make sure the spring isnt damaged and the bullet slides freely in the hole.
Definately definately needs removing if the case is being blasted.
Some cases have one at each end. Have you checked that there is only one?

Rich

Its a normal left hand thread.
Can start it off by carefully tapping a chisel on it to get it moving.
Its job is to control the oil pressure in the engine.

Rich

Personally I wouldn't sandblast a case, get it cleaned, degreased sure there are solvents out on the market to do it yourself if you got a big enough container to soak it. As well as the spring will be a poppet which will come out of the hole left by the spring if it doesn't fall out you should be able to pull it using you little pinky!!!

Great stuff... used the hammer and chisel tap trick to get the screws started... then get hit in the face by a flying spring! Tres Amusant!

Everything has come out apart from the slider on the side with the long spring, the other one just fell out.... it seems to be catching on the threads as it slides out.... any tips on how to grab it... tried rubber tools, magnetic sump plug bolt, and magnetic pen.

Probably can't see from the photo...

Judging from your questions you would benefit greatly from one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Transporter-Workshop-Service-manuals/dp/0856966606/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392677462&sr=1-13&keywords=vw+haynes+manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

Trikky2 said:
Judging from your questions you would benefit greatly from one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Transporter-Workshop-Service-manuals/dp/0856966606/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392677462&sr=1-13&keywords=vw+haynes+manual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Agreed.
I built my engine off the back of this book.
The slider will come out with enough effort.

Rich

Guys cheers for that.... I am a little embarrassed now though.... The previous owner gave me this in a box of all the paperwork it is dated 1990, hardly used and I haven't opened it!!! Proof that we tend to run to the internet for answers nowadays...

Shame on me... Off to bed to do some reading and research!

Google is not your friend... Haynes is... Google is a very naughty boy!

Do not I repeat do not sand blast the case unless you are prepared to drill out all the oil gallery plugs and replace them as sand will end up in gallerys and you will end up seizing engine.You can blast case but only with soda. I am busy drilling out oil plugs for a friend who did sand blast case. Use a wire brush on drill to clean case and steam case afterwards. You can buy heat resistant aluminium paint to make case look good. As far as oil pressure relief valve not coming out I made a tool from a pair of long nosed pliers. I welded 2 spots onto sides at end of pliers and filed them to a point. It works when the plier are put into hole and then opened and the points grab the piston and allows you pull out. The piston is aluminium so magnet is no good. It is wise to replace both oil valves.Dont loose washers for plugs as they difficult to find. I heat the old ones up and allow them to cool before putting them back.
Bob
:idea: :)

Latest posts