What jobs do we do?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a lab technician in the Aerospace Structures and Materials Laboratory of the Technical University Delft. I am responsible for all mechanical test systems (varying from 1 to 350 tonnes) and partly responsible for our structural models (different aircraft parts including a F-16 and Alouette helicopter). 8)

To give you an idea:
DSC05880.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

Starfighter4.jpg

DSC05887k.jpg

Airtime said:
I'm a lab technician in the Aerospace Structures and Materials Laboratory of the Technical University Delft. I am responsible for all mechanical test systems (varying from 1 to 350 tonnes) and partly responsible for our structural models (different aircraft parts including a F-16 and Alouette helicopter). 8)

To give you an idea:

DSC05887k.jpg

Nice pic, looks cool :mrgreen:

Regular turn arounds for me mate (3 on 3 off) unless i get fed up and jack it for a new job which ive done in the past, then my rota goes out by a week or two or something like that and everything ive planned goes out the window.

Sometimes it falls good others not so good. I normally get to between 3 and 8 VW shows a year and down to Cornwall when ever the weather is good with living so close so i cant complain. Wifes starting to get on to me about a holiday abroard but i cant seem to get that excited about it, i think the noveltys wore off. But ill end up going to keep the peace. ;)

clyde said:
Wifes starting to get on to me about a holiday abroard but i cant seem to get that excited about it, i think the noveltys wore off. But ill end up going to keep the peace. ;)

How about a holiday abroad in the bus, kill two birds with one stone :mrgreen:

I'm a Field Trials Assistant for an R and D deptartment of a farming company (and part time kayaking instructor, tiki carver and T-shirt printer)

:D

wibbler said:
clyde said:
Wifes starting to get on to me about a holiday abroard but i cant seem to get that excited about it, i think the noveltys wore off. But ill end up going to keep the peace. ;)

How about a holiday abroad in the bus, kill two birds with one stone :mrgreen:

Done that one a couple of times now, but apparently a real holiday involves flying for hours to a place that is guaranteed to be hot.

Jon

Sounds like you need to fly to Skegness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plasterer / general builder hoping to go into property development
qualified designer with degree which i don't use

job good and always learning - very lucky that once shown something i can pick it up fairly easily
my bay resto project is my first attempt at anything mechanical and i'm very much on a steep learning curve but loving it
alex

Deputy Manager for Halfords,snooze.......snore.......but it has paid for my 72 dormy to be restored which i should have back from the paint shop in a couple of weeks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ,just gotta put the bugger back together :? :? :? :? :? .

slugmobile said:
Deputy Manager for Halfords,snooze.......snore.......but it has paid for my 72 dormy to be restored which i should have back from the paint shop in a couple of weeks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ,just gotta put the bugger back together :? :? :? :? :? .

We'll let you off :shock:

Another X-Over Dormy - get some pics up soon ;)

Some great jobs on here and very varied. 8)

Mine is a weird one, I`am an Operations Manager for an Orthodontic supplies companies in the UK :lol:

http://www.tocdental.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pays the bills, keeps me in VWs and helps out with the holidays ;)

Ez

You forgot that it pays for your tattoos as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

easy said:
Some great jobs on here and very varied. 8)

Mine is a weird one, I`am an Operations Manager for an Orthodontic supplies companies in the UK :lol:

http://www.tocdental.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pays the bills, keeps me in VWs and helps out with the holidays ;)

And I bet you have a nice smile too :lol: :lol: :lol:

My week has been SOOO easy, don't have to clock in until 11am :D but finish at 7pm :( All i've done is drive up and down the A14 in a 19 year old Case tractor with a HUGE sign on the back with flashing lights and arrows, it's like driving a disco :D

The Volvo road sweepers are cleaning the main roads this week and as the only do about 20mph in sweep mode, my big sign warns people off from crashing into them :lol:

Flask of tea, packet of custard creams and the radio on all day....... WIKED :mrgreen:

I think 'electro-mechanical engineer' would be a fair discription. Or perhaps 'jack of all trades, master of nowt' would be more accurate!
Originally trained as a mechanic (C&G MVCS 381), did a bit of accident repair, got into R&D engine building and test bed/dyno work for Cosworth, Perkins, GM, Ford and Lotus. (Name dropping, sorry! :oops: )
Then kind of fell into contracting, factory production line and food proccesing industries, general fitting work, pipework, welding and the like. That now mainly involves the electrical installation or modification of process control systems. The clever boys write the PLC programmes, I just connect the wires from point A to B.....
It can be long hours and lots of 'away' and weekend work (96 hours last week) and then nothing for a while which isn't great when self employed. Still, have spent a lot of time in Scarborough, Shropshire, Norwich (love the place!) and done 3 installs at a crisp factory (part of Pepsico) in Turkey and last month had 2 weeks at a McCain chip plant in South Africa so it can't be all bad! :D

How cool are some of these jobs! :mrgreen:

I'm a one man consultancy involving design and engineering, mainly based on a computer at the clients premises.

Mainly designing lots of parts for the automotive industry. In the past I designed fuel systems, body panels, body structures (aluminium extrusions, castings and carbon fibre parts), interior/exterior trim, electrical components and currently working on NVH (bits of fluff that makes the car quieter).

Enjoy the work but would like to be a bit more 'hands on' within the engineering industry.

The industry is definitely changing though. Hourly rates and hours have just been slashed, some of the guys have been given 24 hours notice period aswell. All a bit shakey.

Thankful just to have a contract at the moment!

windsurfer said:
Graham L said:
Ez

:lol: :lol: and piercings :mrgreen:

True true! :lol: I do have an unhealthy obsession with getting inked by quality artists :lol: got 4 hours booked in for a couple of weeks for £500 a pop :shock: better do some work....... ;)

I reckon, if there were awards, this should be up for thread of the year......a real insight what we all do, and a fantastic way to prove how much bollox there is in the stereotype attitude to VW owners......

Nice one.

easy said:
windsurfer said:
Graham L said:
Ez

:lol: :lol: and piercings :mrgreen:

True true! :lol: I do have an unhealthy obsession with getting inked by quality artists :lol: got 4 hours booked in for a couple of weeks for £500 a pop :shock: better do some work....... ;)

Dude, your tattooist charges £125 per hour :worship: :?: I thought my tattooist was expensive at £70 ph. Dude, how do you afford 2 VW's and tattoos, either one wipes me out :lol:

Latest posts