What size drill for drilling spring plate / Handbrake cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd1984

Reaction score
I have fitted horseshoe plates however I need to drill the spring plates so the handbrake cable can pass through. What size drill do i need? Also how do i disconnect the handbrake from the drum of a 68?

Hey Matt,, I`ve got slamworks on the back of mine with the hole allready in there for the cable. The hole was a tight fit on that little shroud / cover thingy that protects the hand brake cable and was slightly elongated and not round to allow for the cable to go through an an angle. If yours is the same as mine (1970) then it`s rear drum off I`m afraid but yours shouldn`t be too hard because it`s been fiddled with and not unmolested for 40 years. Torque em back up when you`ve finished as well, it`s about 250 lb ft I think. Might as well check out the shoes and cylinders while you`re in there fannying around. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Also unmolested for 40 years ! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Edit: P.S. 253 lb ft according to Mr Bentley

16mm but the biggest you will prob find 13mm and open the hole ,make it angled as well for better cable fit.

yep i used a 13mm drill and wiggled it a bit worked a treat !
bought a Bosch set of drills which were absolute crap .
then used a set from a company called uk drills (on fleabay) they were half the price
and were brilliant cut through the plate like butter :)

Found it easier to remove the handbrake cable from the front (needed to do this when fitting the plates), and thread it through

Hi i drill 16mm with mag drill and then used a die grinder and angled the hole to help the cable a bit :D

I've fitted one of mine today. longest job was getting the hand brake outer sleeve out of back plate. Only had a 12mm drill but next door had a 3/4 " drill so used this. Is larger than needed but cable sits nice through it. Only prob is still on standard 185R14's and wheel won't fit up inside arch.....bugger thought i'd be ok for now but things never as simple as you hope!!!

mattd1984 said:
Any pictures of these been done? So i know roughly where to drill

Here is mine drilled:

Horseshoeplates015.jpg

Latest posts