What's this on my Starter?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamBrian

Reaction score
I removed my gearbox a while ago with great eagerness and vigour and now it's time to put things back together I can't remember what goes where. Like most vans, the wiring's been altered here and there, so out came my trusty Bentley Manual only to find no information on this bolt on goodie fitted to the end of the starter. Any ideas? Other than "made in America", there's no details on it. I'm going to remove it and wire up the starter as per Bentley's and see whet happens. What do you reckon?

I wonder if it's an imobiliser relay which was fitted in either the starter coil circuit or the main feed from the battery.

I would do as you suggest & connect as normal - the rest of the starter looks standard.

I don't know but am intrigued so have a bump on me.

It's an aftermarket starter motor solenoid possibly used as a form of a hot or hard start relay. I used to fit these to all 6-volt vehicles almost as a matter of routine for just that purpose. They are still available in both 6 and 12 volt configurations.
Peter Good

Cheers lads. I've removed it and put the wiring back to standard and the starter seems to work ok. Will keep a hold of it for spares!

Latest posts