Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, looks like the hard line is twisted, who does that then just leaves it?!

I may have to do similar on mine if the rubber hose replacement doesn't fix my rear drum. One of them is twisted, again who would do that, no wonder it pulled to one side! Luckily my rear drums are off a late-bay and I don't have the castle nut to wrestle with!!

Could the play be caused by a bearing?

@fallingoffalot - Thanks - You’re right it was twisted, it’s almost as if somebody previously has spun on the drum cylinder from the front until it lined up rather than tightening up on the fitting with an 11mm spanner [emoji85], shoddy to say the least.

No, I did the bearings a few years back, I’d just not had enough weetabix when putting the NS nut back on, I managed to get onto the next turret this time so now they’re both the same.

I read you had problems when using the One man bleeder ... I never go above 10psi when using mine. I find that works a treat.
I need one as I’m always alone when round at the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed to get round the garage after work today to get the brakes bled through and finished, also addressing a couple other advisories. Think I’m going to do all the remaining hard lines over the winter, again, I don’t know the history and it’s a worthwhile job. As you can see I’ve got a long way to go [emoji1787]

e24a820a03457026e21364eb6a2887a4.jpg

Blimey the front bleed nipples were a struggle, anyway all sorted now, nice firm pedal and back at the garage next
Tuesday afternoon.

21a816aa46ddf59b336a61c9d90f4666.jpg

Hopefully for a better result than last Friday [emoji1696][emoji2]

Good luck with the MOT, well worth getting it checked over. I was watching wheeler dealers the other night and discovered there is a special tool for the locking pin things. It could have saved me so much time in the past! It's now on order ready for the next time I'm working on the brakes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333153187009

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I got one of those after struggling for hours to get new pins in my brakes last summer. My usual tactic of using large pliers just wasn’t working for some reason. Definitely recommended.

67westy said:
Good luck with the MOT, well worth getting it checked over. I was watching wheeler dealers the other night and discovered there is a special tool for the locking pin things. It could have saved me so much time in the past! It's now on order ready for the next time I'm working on the brakes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333153187009

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys I’ll add that to my Sealey collection ... my Sealey 3/8 battery ratchet has saved my bacon more than a few times this week, brilliant piece of kit.
Really like their tools [emoji106]

MOT is a no brainier for me ... plus the garage owner has a 1970 Bug, so I know she’s in safe hands [emoji106]

Good luck with the MOT!
Overhere in Holland cars from 50 years and onder are MOT free for life ;)

You’re right there are many to choose from and I was in a bit of a panic as time was of the essence and a lot of the ones I looked at on eBay were saying incompatible, although the part number appeared to be correct.

I’ve bought from these guys before and recognised the J P Group Classic Line packaging.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201975770364

They both arrived promptly and the build quality seemed really good.

I guess time will tell [emoji106]

Dirty Harry said:
Good luck with the MOT!
In the UK it's 40 years. A lot of us still choose to get them done, as its not only peace of mind for those who are not full-time mechanics, but a wad of MOT certificates probably helps the resale value (although MOT history is checkable online now anyway).

Dirty Harry said:
Good luck with the MOT!
Thanks [emoji106] it’s a retest, so hopefully she’ll sail through now I’ve fixed the few problems identified.

As @coda states, for me it’s just peace of mind that the she’s has been checked out at the start of the season ... we’ll worth the money [emoji106]

8dd812875ba350c3a79984104f824435.jpg

Happy Days - chalked off all advisories except one, which I will sort over Winter [emoji106]

Decided to replace the Engine bay warped sound deadening board with some Noico Red 315 mil sound / heat / vapour proof insulation. 0.9 sq m does the job nicely [emoji106]

c2229bbe0995377e596a798ac0a3ec6f.jpg

087c8242aa84e0b8028be67b9246add2.jpg

Tucked under on of the retaining clips was a little piece of rolled up paper with the valve clearance values written on it.

dcc6c65e1f68aaecfa35bd99b734e944.jpg

I wonder how many years that has been there [emoji848]

Thanks fellas ... not driven van yet after installation but reviews on its properties were good on Amazon, so I’m hopeful.
It has to be an improvement on what was previously installed.

I’ll also need to clean up the upper rails now that they are more noticeable.

Yes Mike, brought a smile to my face too ... the fact it said millimetre instead of mm made me think it was not long after decimalisation [emoji15]

Latest posts