Won't start....help me find the cause please...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
My engine won't start!! I left the ignition switch on by mistake overnight, so when I went out this morning , the battery was flat, and after recharging the battery, I couldn't get her to start. Its a single port 1600 engine. I'm thinking I've fried something by leaving the ignition on, but I don't know what.

The starter motor and the engine turn over just fine , but shes just not kicking at all. I've checked a few things already.
The coil is getting power from the ignition switch.
I took out the sparkplugs and grounded the end of them and then cranked the engine with the switch on, but there is no spark.
I attached a dwell meter and it comes up at 50 degrees when i crank the engine over. I looked at the points and they seem to be operating right, the little gap opens and closes ok.

Is it likely to be either the coil, condenser or points that are bad? How do I figure out which one is to blame?

I've taken the centre lead out of the dizzy and cranked the engine over by hand, and it does create a bright bluish spark, but I'm not sure how often it is meant to spark.

your on the right track, you could of fried the coil or condensor, more than likely the coil, if i was you i would get coil, points and condensor and be safe..

jon.

I reckon the coil too,if you leave the ignition on and the ponts are closed the coil stays on and eventually cooks it.If the points are open then the coil would be off,just have to be lucky when you turn the engine off!

Jon is right,get some new points and condensor whilst you're there too.

VWAIRCOOLED said:
I reckon the coil too,if you leave the ignition on and the ponts are closed the coil stays on and eventually cooks it.If the points are open then the coil would be off,just have to be lucky when you turn the engine off!

Jon is right,get some new points and condensor whilst you're there too.

Thats the one i thinks. Change your coil points and condenser and I am sure all will be fine. :wink:

another one sorted
nicon_hangloose.gif

Latest posts