You got to love a white Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics 8)
Glad you made it back ok
Now get that engine fitted! :lol:

Was a pleasure to meet you Mycha, and look over you bus. A favourite of mine on these forums. Your time and advice was much appreciated and I may copy your workings to sort the rear of my bus for air. I'll be in touch for a parts and price list from you. Keep up the great work.

-------------------------------
Own a Bay?.......Feel the Love!!

Last weekend was our last holiday weekend, we took the Westy to the airmighty picnic. Saturday was raining but sunday was great, perfect ending of our vacation.

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

Even was on local television :lol: on 5.16 minute 8) http://youtu.be/VR9i83oJ7j8
This weekend is boy's out to DDD11 beers and drag-racing.

Greetings Mycha

Well last weekend was interesting :shock: :oops:

Friday after work I started my trip to DDD11 (DasDragDay) near Eindhoven (about40km from my home) the engine bracket broke....

foto-45.jpg

foto3.jpg

With some temporary fix i made it home.
Because i wanted to go to DDD i managed to get a secondhand engine bracket that night and placed it, 02.00uur Saturday morning Westy was back on track :mrgreen:
foto1.jpg

foto1-1.jpg

Saturday morning 08.30uur started again on the trip 8)
Near Maasstricht there came big clouds of smoke from the engine....... everywhere oil!!!
It was clear to me that this was not my weekend :lol:
The engine is dead, everywhere oil means a broken piston or piston seal.....
Well i didn't have to drive to home so a little beer when waiting on the recovery truck :p
foto5.jpg

foto2-1.jpg

foto3-1.jpg

foto4.jpg

Westy is save at home in the garage and now i'm thinking what to do!!!

options:

1) fix the good old 1600cc (still a slow engine...)
2) rebuild the 2110 cc i still have (compression now 10.5:1 and wrong cam for a bus engine) but than i have to do something at the gearbox!
3)or put in the Subaru turbo engine

Every option has pro and cons,

1) cheapest option but a slow engine
2) i have that engine complete only have to de-tune it for use in a bus, but the original gearbox has to go, way to much rpm
3) Suby engine i also have but to do this conversion the way i want to do it it cost a lot of money :msn4: and is not a job for one winter!!! The original plan was first collect all the parts (intercooler, radiator etc etc.) the rebuild off the gearbox (subarugears) and clean up the engine and when this al was complete then start the build.

options and choices to be made......... :roll:

Greetings mycha

Thats looks clean that break on the engine bar? its good that you have options though.
Also you were lucky it didn't ruin your holiday nice photo's.

Cheers
Darius

Monday evening is always garage time :lol: no energy for engine troubles so I started again on my subwoofer-project, westy-hocker build from original panels, work-in-progress:
foto-46.jpg

Also scored a new engine bracket, 71" only 8)
foto-47.jpg

greetings mycha

hi mycha , sorry about motor ,

i think to put in on a subaru engine is a good option 8) 8)

for the price and the power ....

Project subwoofer "westy-style" is ready 8)

Engine update, the original 1600 is alive :shock: the breathertube of the oil-ventilation was closed.... i placed a new one and did a trip around town (inluding freeway 100km/u) no oil leak :p

Update for 2014 will go through thoug ;)

Ordered a Weddle 4.57 ring and pinion and a super diff.
The 2110cc engine from my old notch will go in with a new cam and lower compression (around 120/130hp).

The Suby engine wil placed on the garage attic-floor for later :msn4: i've a project in my head for the future.................. :party0021:

Greetings mycha

Great work on that sub...hope it's got brakes ;)
So...what you planning for the scooby lump then??

mychatype3 said:
Project subwoofer "westy-style" is ready 8)

Wow Mycha!

Great work, very nicely executed indeed, brilliant use of the original wood, looks totally stock, I bet that has given us all a few ideas! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Alistair

Latest posts