1967 Neptune Blue Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the supplier sent the wrong hub bearing seals again. In actual fact, they sent exactly the same seals as the two that are the wrong size. I sent them inner and outer od measurements and pictures, but apparently they don't open boxes and measure parts.
Back to sorting boxes while the roof is repaired.

Found the engine hatch hinges, so test fitted that.

Not a bad paint match after another go with the cutting compound.
Hinges painted. Not going to fit the hatch for the time being as it'll be in the way when I start the rear end.

The box the hinges were in also contained this.

So, the supplier sent the wrong hub bearing seals again. In actual fact, they sent exactly the same seals as the two that are the wrong size. I sent them inner and outer od measurements and pictures, but apparently they don't open boxes and measure parts.
Back to sorting boxes while the roof is repaired.

Found the engine hatch hinges, so test fitted that.

Not a bad paint match after another go with the cutting compound.
Hinges painted. Not going to fit the hatch for the time being as it'll be in the way when I start the rear end.

The box the hinges were in also contained this.

You gonna fit the rubbers with the hinges? I had to trim quite a bit of material off mine to get them to fit.

Started on the rear end. O/S hub, spring plate and torsion bar removed.

Torsion housing in pretty good shape considering it's been sitting in sand for decades.

Trailing arm removed and chassis cleaned, primed and painted.

Trailing arm bush replacement

and refitted

Can't fit the adjustable spring plates or disc brake hubs as no-one has any stock of the inner spring plate bushes.

The replacement for the replacement seals which were replacing the wrong replacement hubs seals actually fit, so new bearings packed and hubs fitted. Just need to measure offset, etc for the discs now.

Bit of a dilemma, the '67 only sun visors don't fit the holes in the windscreen frame.
'67 short visors

'68-'69 visors

The retaining clip holes seem to fit the longer visors

Don't really want to drill through the headlining, so the later ones are fitted.

It's a bit immaterial anyway though, as this is my view out of the screen with the tubs and seats in place, and I need another clip. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Right, short moan. I'm fed up with vendors inaccurate descriptions of parts they're selling.
This dash pod was described as perfect and undamaged. Well, it was apart from the copious amounts of white paint overspray all over it.
Almost 3 hours of cleaning and there's still a few small flecks of white which will annoy me greatly when it's in place.

Pod and mirror cleaned and Replenished.

I had my original visors re-trimmed in the same material as my new headliner. It's not OEM but lthey ook better than the new repro ones - and they blend in with the headliner :)

Great work so far, remember following your other bus thread. Great motivation that you just crack on with stuff by whatever means necessary and get the results. I know it's too late now, but I've stripped out mine for a Refit. Found the best thing for getting the glue residue off from horsehair sound proofing etc was Gtechniq W7, after trying various tools and TFR, Brake cleaner amongst other things

N/S trailing arm stripped and bush replaced.
Cleaned, primed and painted N/S rear chassis and notch.

Spring plates stripped and seized adjusters removed. This was a right pita.

Spring plates and rear hubs fitted.

Looks like my spline calculation was way out. Rear end coming off again.

Mirror fitted and dash pod in place out of harms way.

N/S trailing arm stripped and bush replaced.
Cleaned, primed and painted N/S rear chassis and notch.

Spring plates stripped and seized adjusters removed. This was a right pita.

Spring plates and rear hubs fitted.

Looks like my spline calculation was way out. Rear end coming off again.

Mirror fitted and dash pod in place out of harms way.

Control cable day today, cleaned the tubes of Colorado sand and throttle, clutch, handbrake and heater cables lubed and installed.

Gearbox in with a couple of spacers at the front mount.

And funky CSP shift rod fitted.

I say fitted, but there's an interference issue with the steering idler arm.

Presumably it's designed for a balljoint beam rather than a king and linkpin beam where the tubes are closer together. I didn't think that one through.

Brake pipes are finally done. Redid a couple of short hard lines, and had some braided flexis made up for the Porsche front and Golf rear calipers.
Need to trim the metal ties, but I was too lazy to get the cable tie tool out of the van.

Just need a brake light switch and some low pressure hose for the reservoir, and find the push rod.

Latest posts