1969 Portugese Panel Van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grazy

Reaction score
Hi guys , Well here we go , I have had this van for a couple of years and had great fun in it ,
I bought the van from a guy in Portugal , and it was never going to be as rust free as a California bus but it was a great price and the paintwork and originality were key factor in buying it , However the Portugese climate is similar to England so there were a few rust issues with the van but not enough to fail the MOT ,until August this year , :(

So with the fail sheet in my hand I decided to take the van off the road on do the work needed to get it road worthy again .

This thread will be quite a long one as i intend to get as much of the 40 year old underseal off and get the underside looking tidy and solid so I should not have to do it again .

Once welding has been done i shall be installing headliner , split charge system , rock n roll bed etc etc .
Look forward to your comments and advice cheers enjoy Graeme 8)

In a nice dry garage 8)
100_1838.jpg

In good company :D
100_1839.jpg

This is what I started with
100_1843.jpg

So time to get the tools out , :lol:
100_1850.jpg

Yes my tools are shit its official
100_1846.jpg

Engine out
100_1848.jpg

Gearbox out
100_1854.jpg

100_1849.jpg

100_1856.jpg

Not a bad days work

100_1855.jpg

Thanks to Steve ( Ooro ) Chris ( Panalvan ) and Nick ( Hogseye ) for all the help ;)

The spanners are my Voo Woo ones but apparently everything else i own belongs in a sweety tin :lol: :lol:

Was this a CKD Portuguese built bus? I only ask because of the markings on the fan housing

I know they built splits over there to get around tax issues but didn't know if they built bays too.

Hi Matty , i am not sure , a friend has told me that vans were shipped over to Portugal as Panel Vans then conversions carried out there . I have no M-Code plate as such , just a plate with PS 219 ________ ( My chassis No )

Grazy said:
This thread will be quite a long one as i intend to get as much of the 40 year old underseal off and get the underside looking tidy and solid so I should not have to do it again .

Nice, pretty much where I am with mine.. I got mine shot-blasted, then welded up and right now I'm putting down layers of protective paint.

Looks like your bus was a lot more solid than what I started with though!! :shock: 8)

Great colour..

Is it LHD or RHD?

Pannels are uber! There are not enough of them about :mrgreen:

Not all year I hope Chris but not setting a date for when it will be finished , Its done when it done :)

Finally Graham, good work. You gonna lower it this time? :lol:

Got my engine back togther mate so once it's in I'll test that spare dissy for ya if you're still interested? 8)

Grazy in 'Working on Bus' shocker ;) :lol:

'bout time fella. Will be awesome when its done 8)

YEEEEEEHAAA! Go on son, it's just gonna get better & better 8) 8)

Nice one dude, looking fwd to the progress :D

Thanks for the props men that is the sort of verbal shove I need to get my arse in gear to get things done - Cheers 8)

Nice to see the old girl getting the attention she deserves Gra :D

You doing any panel work or paint or you leavin the body as it is?

Looking forward to more pics, good luck mate. 8)

Latest posts