1969 Portugese Panel Van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you on Saturday Grazy, shame about the van not being there :(

Van is looking good on the new rims mate how much did those seat belts cost if u don't mind me asking?

Was good to see you Saturday been a long time and glad you didn't need anything other than some new bolts and some fresh undies after your little incident :lol:

Grazy said:
I got an MOT on the van recently so was all set to head to Volksworld show on Saturday

Unfortunatley since fitting the wheels , some nuts on the rear nearside wheel came loose ending up with me stranded at the side of the A12 with no bolts and a loose wheel

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK YOUR NUTS REGULARLY

especially if you have newly powder coated rims

If you powder coat your rims, you need to but out the powder coating out of the lug seats. If you don't you can torque down the wheels but the thick powder coating ends up cracking and falling out and then it leaves you with loose wheels which can fall off :shock: :shock: :shock: Use a razor blade and cut off the powder coating before you drive!!!!!!!

squareweave said:
Grazy said:
I got an MOT on the van recently so was all set to head to Volksworld show on Saturday

Unfortunatley since fitting the wheels , some nuts on the rear nearside wheel came loose ending up with me stranded at the side of the A12 with no bolts and a loose wheel

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK YOUR NUTS REGULARLY

especially if you have newly powder coated rims

If you powder coat your rims, you need to but out the powder coating out of the lug seats. If you don't you can torque down the wheels but the thick powder coating ends up cracking and falling out and then it leaves you with loose wheels which can fall off :shock: :shock: :shock: Use a razor blade and cut off the powder coating before you drive!!!!!!!

I did not know / think about that. Good tip, needs to be sticky-ed.

I have a set of 15" Splitty Steels which were powder coated by the previous owner which I have not fitted yet, but I will remember to do this.

Yep well known fact with powdered coated wheels, the coating gives you a false torque reading as you are not torquing metal to metal, seen it more than once, usually takes about 50 miles for them to work loose.

Lots of powder coaters are now dropping wheels nuts in to stop the contact point being covered during the coating process

Grazy said:
I got the Appliance Pacer wheels a few years ago , and they are starting to show their age so a freshen up was in order

IMG_3495_zpsn6jwbuav.jpg

IMG_3496_zpsufzec7bu.jpg

So they were sent off to Aerocoat in Great Yarmouth to be blasted and powder coated Black Chrome

IMG_3509_zpsrjy4u9zs.jpg

IMG_3511_zpseoywk9cl.jpg

IMG_3628_zpse8xdswom.jpg

IMG_3626_zps3hm3ufdy.jpg

The wheels look almost black in some lights and near chrome in others , I like them

love the rims bud ;)

Thanks for the comments on the wheels guys , I loved them when I bought them but four UK winters took their toll and the USA chrome didn't like it and it had started to flake off and rust so it was a big deal to get the re painted

like i say they look more special in the sun , ill drop more pictures in soon !

Thats another year over with , The van in now tucked up in the garage for the winter .

I have a few jobs that need doing , As I had a so called expert put in some new pushrod tubes for me and it turns out they fitted these the wrong way round , so they have been pissing oil out of my engine , Along with a few other leaks it means the 1600 single port needs a good seeing too :|

So my engine builder has pulled apart my engine , He says he doesn't think its ever been split before
The Cam and lifters were screwed, needed a complete set of bearings , and possibly rings , It also needs a new oil pump

Other than that I think its pretty sound, so its now being put back together !!

Grazy said:
So my engine builder has pulled apart my engine , He says he doesn't think its ever been split before
The Cam and lifters were screwed, needed a complete set of bearings , and possibly rings , It also needs a new oil pump

Other than that I think its pretty sound, so its now being put back together !!

Good old Hector

ac8bc5bf8ade11d016268e4a54a6ba2d.jpg

Still an empty hole where my engine needs to be but it should be filled real soon

While it was out I've had a tidy up , cleaning and painting engine bay and cleaned up inside of gearbox
c4e20b3efa7b695ccc6477b241995c32.jpg
79edf8969e964541575c3c816a16bceb.jpg

Hope to get more done soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little bit more done
3f0931c6128373a8c46f6975e84edab1.jpg
82cca4a6b6a0b8c59059650d33501389.jpg
c6bbdf351b250d7528785899a6b13687.jpg

Also change the gear linkage bushes while engine was out , fiddly job as access was tight but thanks to my mate Karl , we got it sorted eventually
24bd90c8100ae3dc2291dff99a33d275.jpg

Should be another update soon

Looks smart mate. Nice one [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*Sam* said:
Looks smart mate. Nice one [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers mate will look better when engine is in and running

So engine is in the van after being rebuilt by Hector Howe , local engine guru . It is still a 1600cc but has a slightly warmer cam in it and Hector done a bit of work on the heads (I think )
It's not running quite right yet but this is due to a troublesome carburettor
d4d9db44f6719f4140ea511b28158c7a.jpg
7c2cacd9270dfa999eb371e0c9c10cfa.jpg
d5fb2454c7ad09e48604239ad5387831.jpg
a28c966d0ef05531363ff51238d48b75.jpg

MOT on Friday !

Latest posts