1970 Covair Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Bob etc, keep the black and extend it right round the bus! 8)

hiya
thanks for the comments, dont know about the black as quite like the colour its in but you never know!!

update from work on monday
11hrs operation and engines alive again all be it still needs valves setting and tweeking everything to get running more smooth

a few hrs on it today to put more bits on engine so i can run it to be able to set valves so its a bit tappy at mo,
then another compresion test as me being a t**t when i ordered the gasket set missed that it didnt include new head rings so rebuilt with old ones just hope they were ok or its order more from america and another 3 week delay.

2011-08-30163304.jpg

still got lower panels to fit and heater outlets to make to conect to bus, havent got any flaps to close these off will have tosee what i can make up
2011-08-30163234.jpg

rear alternator bracket made
2011-08-30163222.jpg

so its getting there
cheers Pete

Looking good Peter, I have to say you are making it look so easy 8) 8)

Really enjoying following something a little different. Remembered the bus up for sale with Graham L and although I know diddly squat about the covair really like the idea that it is being sorted

Another one I look forward to seeing in the flesh :)

cheers Graham, must say its not as easy as it looks, but its getting there, engine bay spay painted today ready to wax oil fuel tank area and refit tank with new hoses then if i think engines ok will have a go at refiting it in bus, still a way to go till ready for mot but cant wait to be able to drive it into the workshop instead of push it each time lol.
Making the heater outlets from engine at mo will have to make shut off flaps as well for them, amaizing what you can do with old parts, as the drive shaft gaiter plates fit lovely with holds welded up and mounting brackets fitted,

main thing ive got to do at mo is get valves addjusted properly, has to be done with engine to temp and running, and check all the set up to make it run smooth.

thanks cotswoldiver, untill i saw this bus on the web i dont recall ever hearing about a Corvair before
and with very little research dived right in

cheers for now will upload another vid of it running when photobucket working again
cheers Pete

There was a guy on some forums, DangerousDave, with the same engine in a late bay. It sounded great and apparently went like stink but he was getting through a few gearboxes! I think He had it mated to a VW 1600 box or 3, but had plans.

hiya
hopefully wont have the same problem as its still on a corvair box (fingers crossed).
got some more work done refited fuel tank with new hoses,
2011-09-04151052.jpg

got rear lights working, rewired brake lights, and indicators

2011-09-03160244.jpg

fitted rear seat belts,
run engine and set tappets, heres a new vid of it running

made heater outlet shut off fittings, (old cv gaiter plates came in handy)
2011-09-04120353.jpg

ran out of petrol to keep engine on test, still need to set it up properly and do another compression test as still didnt like useing old head rings (will have to get a set on order)
refitted rear seat temp to check position of seatbelts ect, had interior pannels off and wax oiled everything
its starting to come together, got wheels coming soon from mr Whitewall,
so by the time they turn up it should be ready for MOT,

cheers Pete

hiya
hopefully wont have the same problem as its still on a corvair box (fingers crossed).
got some more work done refited fuel tank with new hoses,
2011-09-04151052.jpg

got rear lights working, rewired brake lights, and indicators

2011-09-03160244.jpg

fitted rear seat belts,
run engine and set tappets, heres a new vid of it running

made heater outlet shut off fittings, (old cv gaiter plates came in handy)
2011-09-04120353.jpg

ran out of petrol to keep engine on test, still need to set it up properly and do another compression test as still didnt like useing old head rings (will have to get a set on order)
refitted rear seat temp to check position of seatbelts ect, had interior pannels off and wax oiled everything
its starting to come together, got wheels coming soon from mr Whitewall,
so by the time they turn up it should be ready for MOT,

cheers Pete

Nice work Pete (and nice double post :lol: ) 8)

Hope after all the hard work it performs as you (and we) hope :D

Excellent progress, hope the motor turns out ok.

cheers for the comments,
bit envious of yours Zedbed at least your on the road :D
not happy with compression test :( so will have to order head rings and bits from america and strip engione down again (should be quicker the second time lol) no point of puting it in bus as is as its running but not evenly and if i dont start with good compression on all cylinders then it wont set up correctly, but still plenty to do and malverns next week end so will get some bits and ideas for the shinny things to add,
giving my partner say on how the interior is done (well apart from the gadgets lol), so she wants to have a good look around as well,
all the best Pete

hiya
havent been that active on bus, but have got some more work done,
picked up full set of door seals from C & C at Vanfest so stripped front doors and replaced all the seals, striped door locks out and freed them up, also window winder mec and steam cleaned and relubed them,
took a couple of hrs cleaning out old seals as they were that hard and glued in,
just waiting for replacement sliding door seal as i ended up coming home with the wrong side one,
spent a few hrs today sorting out horn wireing as when i turned steering the horn would sound! finaly figured this to the new square steering coupling is wire reinforced and was earthing the centre colum through the coupling insulated bolts and this seems to have cured this problem,

still waiting for head gaskets and other bits from america to rebuild engine again
so thats it for now
cheers Peter

Keep it up. I need to hear this running sweet. :D

hi all
got new head rings this week and oil and temp senders so strip down and rebuild engine time
so much quicker this time as i knew what i was doing (ish lol)
delay gave me a chance to make two into one choke cable adaptor (just need to sort some return springs) and a few other bits that needed doing,
so engine up and running again,
carbs ballanced ish
just got to lower tick over and fit it back in bus

heres a new vid from today of it working, just need two 37mm tail pipes

got tyres from Mr Whitewall look cool just need to fit them

2011-09-25140915.jpg

2011-09-21145126.jpg

not fitted just resting there to see what they look like

its starting to come together hope to have engine back in bus this week, just going to change sump gasket before i refit then the fun begins and hopefully will have it moving under its own power for the first time since i bought it (still havent got a name for it apart form the Misstress(a bitch at times, spend loads of money on her and see more of here than my partner lol))

cheers for now Pete

Mate, you should be rightly proud of that running engine, sounds very smooth cant wait to see it in the bus. :D

Please don't hang over the fan belt next time you do a video though. I was Sh**ing myself watching it. :?

thanks
only had one close call so far with alternator tickleing my arm as i lent to close lol

well engine back in bus today nothing connected just fitted in mounts

2011-09-27142437.jpg

2011-09-27143055.jpg

hope to move under own power on sat :) , once ive connected a few things up that is

massive gaps around engine got to pannel in and seal engine in bay to sort cooling through engine and not around it

cheers

question anyone know what the bus colour is as ive seen a few photos with bus's in this colour from Callifornia,
and was wondering if its a old VW colour?

another picture

2011-09-27142426.jpg

cheers Pete

Love the corvair motor, looked in to putting one in my bus a couple of years ago, even got the gearbox adapter for it but the missus put a stop to it, she said it doesn't sound right! :roll:

Mate of mine has one in his late bay, somewhat modified though, race heads, twin 45mm throttle bodies, mega squirt system and Ford Cosworth coil pack! Enough power to break 2 gearboxes, one of them was an upgraded one too!

Latest posts