1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bus is now locked up in deepest, darkest Suffolk for the winter. Gonna get a bit of work done in that time, oh and fit the race motor :bliss:

Pulled the 1600 for the final time and took the alternator off to fit to the stroker.

In good company 8)

Started assembling the fuel system too :)

gninnam said:
Nice collection in the garage 8)

Home to the fastest Volkswagens in Suffolk. 64' belongs to Hector who built my 2110. It's savage! Straight-cut gearbox, 2276, FK89, 1.5:1 rockers, 044 heads with 46x42 titanium valves, 48 IDA's and magneto ignition. Been riding shotgun when he has beaten 600 bike through the gears and done wheelie's. Good fun though :mrgreen:

K@rlos said:
Home to the fastest Volkswagens in Suffolk. 64' belongs to Hector who built my 2110. It's savage! Straight-cut gearbox, 2276, FK89, 1.5:1 rockers, 044 heads with 46x42 titanium valves, 48 IDA's and magneto ignition. Been riding shotgun when he has beaten 600 bike through the gears and done wheelie's. Good fun though :mrgreen:

:shock: that does sound potent....
Has it got a timed quarter mile ay all ?

Just read the whole thread dude your bus is amazing! Awesome work fella, bet you can't wait for that unit to be installed will make all the difference ! Love it.

how does it handle with that amount of rake mate ? I had a beetle with massive rake and the steering wouldn't correct it self after corners. I could do donuts without holding the steering wheel :D

ratty1959 said:
Just read the whole thread dude your bus is amazing! Awesome work fella, bet you can't wait for that unit to be installed will make all the difference ! Love it.

Thanks man :) Yeah it should be good fun ;)

dubscum said:
how does it handle with that amount of rake mate ? I had a beetle with massive rake and the steering wouldn't correct it self after corners. I could do donuts without holding the steering wheel :D

Only you Simnett :lol: If it didn't self centre then thats down to the front-end geometry rather than rake. It drives and handles lovely! Especially considering it's got a 6" beam on it :| :lol: The rake is a bit more significant without the weight of an engine it, I would like to drop the back an inch or two tbh but my new motor has a deep sump and a mondo exhaust which I need to allow for :roll:

Hector calls it 'the wheel barrow' :lol:

dubscum said:
gonna be a monster with the lump in pal

:D Hit a slight snag with that today, the merged header I have won't clear the engine bar. So we're either gonna have to mod the fook out of the bar or I'll need to buy a different header :roll:

dubscum said:
MOD the bar :D

I'd rather do that tbh, My header is a rather tasty Gene Berg 1 5/8 jobbie which we match ported to the exhaust ports in the heads :msn4:

We have a late bay engine bar which is quite a bit different. Does anyone know if they can be made to fit?

Spent the afternoon at Hectors speedshop, there is no way we can make the Berg header fit :( Would have to cut the engine bar about to much and I don't wanna lose any strength. So I bit the bullet and spoke to Jo at RJ Volksperformance and she is gonna sort me out a better fitting header from A1. Also decided to use this as an excuse to get a 1 3/4 rather than a 1 5/8. Get a few more ponies :msn4:

Latest posts