6 rib gearbox question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all just a quickie. I have a 71 bay with a 1641 engine I want to put a 6 rib gearbox in it but............... Will it go straight in if not what else do I need and is there different types of 6 rib gearboxes if so which do I need or are they all the same. Thanks all

I honestly think that you'll regret fitting it with your 1641 due to 3rd being to long. But if you do want to fit one you will have to shorten the main shaft and possibly the nose cone depending on model year, also I had to modify the bell housing slightly from memory....

Hi thanks for the info. The main reason for fitting it is mine has a Whine on it and next year I have a few long trips planned so I was going to replace it so I thought if I use a 6 rib it gets rid of the whine and brings down the rpm a little so I get better mpg (win win). I was going to use different wheels and tyres to achieve the rpm bit that way ( Im still on standard wheels and tyres on the back) however I can't get larger ones under the rear arches I have to wrestle the old ones in and out lol.

A 1641 will labour with a 6 rib. A 1303 box would be better suited

AS or AT code beetle box (1303s/GT) from memory is what you need. You can buy the bolt in adapter kits from oldspeed in the USA. they are about £150 from memory. there are a few on here running these boxes (micha? maybe could be wrong).

the website is crap but i think he does most of his business from thesamba ads. you could check his feedback and see if hes still trading. i done know anyone over here selling the kits.

http://oldspeed.com/

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2927698

Micko68 is running a beetle box.
I think Graham @Midland Early Bay has mentioned the beetle gearbox conversion/fitting kits before, might be worth giving him a shout.

Apparently you can shift the engine back just enough by modifying the mounts a bit to give you the 10mm or so longer the the 6rib is.. Not done that myself though, just been told about it.

I've just been having my 3 rib rebuilt by Bears with the later 6 rib ring and pinion ratio, but Ill still be running a 1600! Albiet with twin 34ICTs, custom ignition map (more torque hopefully) and 1:1.25 rockers. Sounds like I may have made a mistake there, but plan to build a bigger engine anyway if it drives s**t.

Hi all very sorry for the very late reply for some reason I didn't get any notifications telling me of any replies. The 1303 gearbox sounds ok so I mite start looking into that I'll have to go on the samba site to have a look. Many thanks and a merry Christmas to all.

Bear in mind that 6-rib gearboxes were fitted to late bays with type 4 engines that were kicking out around 75hp, if you are running anything less than this you are going to find it tricky and frustrating with the longer gearing, it will have longer legs on the motorway but will take a while to get it up to speed. I've got a 1641 with 80hp and fitted a 6-rib earlier this year, didn't have to shorten the shaft, simply changed over the bell housing from my early box and it's much improved, one of the best mods I've made.
As for beetle gearboxes, I wouldn't bother, they're cheap to buy but a kit to fit them is about £300 and they aren't as strong or well geared, a bus box is designed for a bus and a bug box is better off in a bug.

SiDev said:
Bear in mind that 6-rib gearboxes were fitted to late bays with type 4 engines that were kicking out around 75hp, if you are running anything less than this you are going to find it tricky and frustrating with the longer gearing, it will have longer legs on the motorway but will take a while to get it up to speed. I've got a 1641 with 80hp and fitted a 6-rib earlier this year, didn't have to shorten the shaft, simply changed over the bell housing from my early box and it's much improved, one of the best mods I've made.
As for beetle gearboxes, I wouldn't bother, they're cheap to buy but a kit to fit them is about £300 and they aren't as strong or well geared, a bus box is designed for a bus and a bug box is better off in a bug.

A 1600 will be ok with a bug box but anything tuned up will need a bus box based transmission but as said you'll need a fair increase in power to use a 6 rib. I've got a 3 rib pro street box with a 6 rib r/p, welded gears and shift forks etc. Also spec'd a late bay bell housing for the mid mount ears.

I run a 6 rib box in my split,it had a 1600 bay box before with a 1641,after changing to the 6 rib,i swapped bell housings & had to cut 10mm off gear shaft. Ran the 1641 with it for a while but had cooling probs as fan does'nt spin enough to keep it cool as revs lower so had to fit an external oil cooler. That sorted that problem,i'm now running a 1776 with twin carbs,a lot better cruising now. Great boxes tho.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll think I'm going to leave it a lone for now and just get my whiney gearbox replaced. I'm not going to up grade my engine as its a really strong engine so I'll just put up with the poor mpg. Thanks again for the replies it's appreciated phil

montypsx said:
Thanks again for all the replies. I'll think I'm going to leave it a lone for now and just get my whiney gearbox replaced. I'm not going to up grade my engine as its a really strong engine so I'll just put up with the poor mpg. Thanks again for the replies it's appreciated phil

Poor mpg?
What do you think you're getting?

I reckon about 18 to 20 mpg give or take a mile or two but I just want to try and get around the 25 mpg if poss with out to much messing about as I'm crap with spanners. I do keep it serviced regular and it has been on the rolling road in the past. But it always stays around he same figure

Yes it has mate and it runs really sweet. It mite be down to my right foot cause I do tend to sit at 60 mph on the motorway :oops:

We run the AM code beetle box on 1600's or 1641's, had a 1303s (AT) on my 1641 and the ratios didnt work that well, I think they are better suited to 1776 motors where you get a bit more grunt.

As someone mentioned we do a kit to fit a beetle box straight into a bay, includes bracket to carry the box(its a lot shorter than a bay box), new driveshaft flanges and spacers so you can use your bay driveshafts (stronger than beetle ones), adapters for the clutch, shift mechanism and a new clutch cable.

Depending on the year of the bay you may need to swap your clutch to the later style one as the IRS beetle box will have the late style release bearing, hope that helps.

Latest posts