'69 Westy tintop in San Diego

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on an earlybay westy today , it's a '69 tintop Westfalia , don't have too much information on it as I have only seen pictures but seems to be okay, not sure what the plans are until I see it in person , I will either restore it , sell it as is or worst case scenario parts bus.
It's currently in Portland, Oregon so I have plans to pick it up next wednesday.
I only have this few pictures, what do you guys think ?

7572809_2_I-1.jpg

7572809_3_I-1.jpg

7572809_5_I-1.jpg

7572809_8_I-1.jpg

7572809_10_I-1.jpg

ib-bus said:
I finally got my hands on an earlybay westy today , it's a '69 tintop Westfalia , don't have too much information on it as I have only seen pictures but seems to be okay, not sure what the plans are until I see it in person , I will either restore it , sell it as is or worst case scenario parts bus.
It's currently in Portland, Oregon so I have plans to pick it up next wednesday.
I only have this few pictures, what do you guys think ?

7572809_2_I-1.jpg

7572809_3_I-1.jpg

7572809_5_I-1.jpg

7572809_8_I-1.jpg

7572809_10_I-1.jpg

very nice and merry christmas

Hi Juan,

Looks pretty solid and complete to me!
Merry christmas too and greetz from a very snowed in Holland :shock:

Harry

Looks like a really good Christmas present to me Juan!
All the best for Christmas and New Year.

Looks to be good from the pictures (but we all know that pictures tend to lie...... :evil: )

I'm sure it will be what you hope for and look forward to seeing what you get up to also ;)

i like it mate the interia looks good.happy christmas to u and your family

Nice one Juan, is this a keeper or is this heading to the UK at some point :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas to you and your family and look forward to seeing you again soon,

Thanks guys for the nice comments, I leave tuesday morning for Portland, I got the week off at work so timing was good for pick up.

Graham L said:
Nice one Juan, is this a keeper or is this heading to the UK at some point :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas to you and your family and look forward to seeing you again soon,

My keeper and future daily driver is being worked on right now , it is an '89 poptop Westy :oops:
This one will make it's way to the UK sooner or later.
Cheers Graham.

You do really like these long drives to collect buses don't you!!I presume it came at a good price, by the way Jim's 72 Westy arrived a couple of weeks ago safe and sound (and with the rack still attached :mrgreen: )

Graham L said:
You do really like these long drives to collect buses don't you!!I presume it came at a good price, by the way Jim's 72 Westy arrived a couple of weeks ago safe and sound (and with the rack still attached :mrgreen: )

My first bus came from Portland as well , this is now the 4th bus I get from that region. I really liked this bus and it was a good deal so don't mind the long drive to go get it.
Glad to hear the '72 and the rack made it alright.
I think that OG rack will look great on your red panel.

Went up to Portland to get my bus, left early tuesday on a planned 2 day journey that became a 3 day journey due to the storm that hit the west coast , I was able to go up on Highway 5 all the way to Portland but on my way back I went west and got down on Highway 101 that goes all the way down along the coast. It was a longer route but there was no other way for me to go south due to snow on the road but the drive was beautiful as you can see in the pictures.

Driving north at Mt. Shasta, California.

tintopwesty057.jpg

On my way back already

tintopwesty064.jpg

At highway 101

tintopwesty097.jpg

tintopwesty071.jpg

tintopwesty070.jpg

tintopwesty072.jpg

tintopwesty080.jpg

tintopwesty081.jpg

tintopwesty083.jpg

tintopwesty087.jpg

tintopwesty090.jpg

tintopwesty093.jpg

tintopwesty098.jpg

tintopwesty099.jpg

Wow stunning pics, sounds like an adventure just to collect and get home :lol:
your pics remind me of a trip I had to San Francisco about 20 years ago and we saw the sights, Marin County, Carmel, Yosemite travelling round in a 1303 cabrio, a very beautiful part of the world.

NickJ said:
Wow stunning pics, sounds like an adventure just to collect and get home :lol:
your pics remind me of a trip I had to San Francisco about 20 years ago and we saw the sights, Marin County, Carmel, Yosemite travelling round in a 1303 cabrio, a very beautiful part of the world.

I have only been to a few places you mention Nick but I agree it is beautiful , up and down the 101 there is so much to see I plan on going back with the family.

I finally had some time to inspect the bus and I think a resto is about to begin , I was happy to see a note the PO left on the engine , it can barely be seen on an early picture from the net.

7572809_10_I-1.jpg

It reads: "Less then 2000 (miles) or rebuilt motor, new carb, coil, plug wires, electronic ign. (no points). Spare parts and lots of WW seals, felt for windows etc. under back seat."

On the engine I also noticed a new fuel pump and under the seat and the rear area I found some nice door rubbers,new window scrapers, new TMI kick panels (very nice) , brake pads and more misc. stuff , so not bad as all those add up to some money.
There was also a bill for a windshield and window rubber so those are new.
Tires are good but only 3 ply so those have to go , passenger door needs to be replaced there is some rot on the rear bottom corner , there is also some rot on the lower part of the rear corner of the bus that will have to be replaced with new metal , other that that I see no major rust other than surface , under the windshield looks solid as is the bottom lip of the front end. I need to get a set of splash guards for the rear bumper as those are missing.
Ceiling plywood is nice but the bottom ones need attention , the top of the cooler has to be fixed as well , seat covers are in ok condition but I may change them. The VIN number from the front dash is missing but the one behind the rear seat is in place as is the M plate and they all match the clear Washington state title that came with the bus , I hear that the DMV may ask me to go to the Highway Patrol to have a replacement VIN plate for the dashboard but others tell me that is up to the clerk at the DMV so we'll see.
Here are some today pictures.

latesttintop006.jpg

latesttintop001.jpg

latesttintop002.jpg

latesttintop003.jpg

latesttintop004.jpg

latesttintop017.jpg

latesttintop019.jpg

that road looks like a stunning drive, always wanted to drive route 66 but think i need to consider a longer journey

fantastic pics mate.we drove highway 1 for a while last year going to san fran from santa monica.think we left it and took the 101 was such a beautful drive.Your bus looks sweet will you be bringing it over for vanfest again maybe?

Andy1564 said:
that road looks like a stunning drive, always wanted to drive route 66 but think i need to consider a longer journey

There is a lot more to see on that highway it just got dark on me and I went east at Oakland for a faster route , I want to come back and do it on a camper someday with the family.

Rusty Lee said:
fantastic pics mate.we drove highway 1 for a while last year going to san fran from santa monica.think we left it and took the 101 was such a beautful drive.Your bus looks sweet will you be bringing it over for vanfest again maybe?

Highway 1 and 101 rock dude , it is a drive definately worth doing.
This may just be my Vanfest bus for this year unless something else pops up between now and then , it's early but time flies so we'll see.