'69 Westy tintop in San Diego

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squareweave said:
Must be nice to be able to work outside in mid January!!!

Outside and wearing a T-shirt 8) , I just finished replacing the second rear axle and a busted shock , I am aiming for the second shock tomorrow and checking a weird noise I can't find but think it has to do with the brakes.

Forgot to post a picture of the busted shock I replaced last night :shock:

tintop7parts002.jpg

tintop7parts004.jpg

Today I took the day off work to sort the brakes and muffler issues.
I now have all new wheel cilynders all around and 2 new brake line hoses and the bus now stops and in a straight line :p
Here at the Brake shop.

tintop7parts008.jpg

Here at the muffler shop, no more fume leaks and much quieter.

tintop7parts009.jpg

Airtime said:
Nice tintop! 8)

Thanks mate.

I been having electrical problems , I bought a relay yesterday for the flashers and horn , I will try to replace that tonight and see if that helps.
Also the battery keeps dying on me , funny thing is if I let it rest a few hours it starts right up , so it could be the generator or voltage regulator , if I can't sort this I will have to take it to a shop this weekend.

its a nice bus i will give you 500 usd for it but you have to pay the shipping to the uk too :lol:

Rusty Lee said:
its a nice bus i will give you 500 usd for it but you have to pay the shipping to the uk too :lol:

Oh sure , let me just sort the electric problems for you as I made it home on a flatbed last night.

The bus suddenly died on the freeway and woulnd't start even with a push , I called AAA and got me home where I started looking for the problem , first I charged the battery again as it was dead , I had a spare Voltage regulator so I replaced it and moved it back to it's original place where I know for sure it is grounded properly and that loose cable I had no idea where it went has a home in the regulator now :roll:
Also noticed the fan belt was very loose and overstretched so I replaced that and it is now tight , the cables coming from the regulator to the generator were not tight.
By this time it is midnight but the bus now started and idled good , so today I drove to work and so far so good , we'll see on my way back.
The local parts store offers free generator tests so I will take the bus after work to have it tested and see if that also needs attention.
The more it breaks on me the more I like this bus :p , am I nuts ?

ib-bus said:
..........today I drove to work and so far so good , we'll see on my way back.

I will keep my mouth shut next time :evil:

On my way back from work yesterday the clutch that was already feeling funny, refused to engage the gears in a nicely manner , so today I got up early and decided to tackle this issue by myself , at the moment I am taking a Taco break , I will continue in a few minutes.

Getting organized for the project.

Clutchrepair004.jpg

Project begins.

Clutchrepair007.jpg

Clutchrepair009.jpg

Clutchrepair011.jpg

Take advantage and clean a little.

Clutchrepair012.jpg

Good side

Clutchrepair014.jpg

Clutchrepair016.jpg

Bad side

Clutchrepair017.jpg

Clutchrepair015.jpg

Clutchrepair019.jpg

Repair panels ready

Clutchrepair020.jpg

Clutchrepair021.jpg

I will get the parts I need to fix the clutch and continue in a bit.

Nice bus dude. 8)
Loving the prepped table, like a surgeon at work. Mine are all over the place. :lol:

lookin goooooooooooood ;) and the white westy is the one you drove down from washington area 800 mile cruise

Heebee_GB said:
Nice bus dude. 8)
Loving the prepped table, like a surgeon at work. Mine are all over the place. :lol:

You should have seen the bloody mess I had when I was done , not surgeon like at all :lol:

67panel said:
lookin goooooooooooood ;) and the white westy is the one you drove down from washington area 800 mile cruise

Oh yeah , that was a nice drive :mrgreen: be nice to it , that is a nice bus :D
Cheers mate.

Airtime said:
A shame to read about you clutch probs. Good luck with repairing! 8)

Clutch taken care off now , I had to replace the pressure plate and the clips retaining the throw out bearing , everything else was in good shape.

Picture001.jpg

But Mr. Cautious here , forgot to release the accelerator cable before droping the engine so it SNAPPED ! no big deal , I got a new one and replaced it , but while I was running it from the front end I noticed all the springs and little parts that hold the pedal in place came out flying to the grass , too bad I noticed it 30 minutes after the grass was cut and the lawnmower eating all my little parts :evil: :lol:
I got the parts yesterday and will fit them after work , at least my radio I won on ebay showed up saturday and it was better than I expected and with the owners manual that I did not know was included :D

Clutchrepair023.jpg

I have been offered a '68 westy that I am very interested in , so this may have to go if the deal goes thru , I will get as much done as I can to attend the OCTO show next month and offer it there for sale , many european and asian buyers attend the show so it is a good place to sale a bus. If someone is interested in this project please PM me for a price and details , I will soon post it in the for sale section once the other deal is more solid.

Engine now back up and running , I had a small delay due to connecting the wrong wire to the coil and frying the points :oops: :roll:
Replaced points and condenser last night and fired right up. Drove up to work today and is running good and the clutch now working like it should :D

mopix012.jpg

Rusty Lee said:
........ If you find another locking engine lid lock im after one.cheeers pal.

They have them at Bus Depot for $38 new original Hella with key.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=113827503H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I am still hunting for some parts for this rolling resto , splash pans for rear bumper , rear tail lights , tires , etc. , etc. , so I been looking at the usual places for them , but yesterday my neighbor 5 doors over who has a nice collection of 3 late 50's and early '60s bettles knocks on my door and he wants me to come over to see a bus he was going to restore but because it is just collecting dust and it was hit hard on the front decided to just get rid of it. I go over expecting a real mess but to my surprise it is a very solid bus , yes it is hit beyond repair (for my skills) but there are so many usable and sellable parts and the best part is that it has a working engine, tranny and almost new Hankook tires on it , he gave me a reasonable price I couldn't even argue with so I am rolling this baby to my property this sunday :mrgreen:
Did I mention it is a '68 with all those one year only parts ?
eusa_dance1.gif

Take a peek.

mopix061.jpg

mopix062.jpg

mopix063.jpg

mopix065.jpg