'69 Westy tintop in San Diego

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yeah mate it will soon come around but at least you have got a good head start hey.

Awesome part of the world that..... Stayed at a Hostel on the cliffs up near the Red Woods many years ago.... Looking out on the coastline everyday was pretty hard to take....

Bet you looking forward to cruising roads like that in your Westi????

Bring on the resto/refirb thread....

ive driven to Kalamath Falls on the 101 when i was working in San Fransciso, i remember it being slightly warmer :lol:

that bus look excellent. nice find

Yes both Red Woods and Kalamath Falls are awesome places to visit or drive by , all along the 101 on the Oregon side is dotted with viewpoints with picnic tables , you can have 2 or 3 viewpoints in a 1 mile stretch in some areas , they really take advantage of the scenery there. The couple of times I have driven that road have been towing buses and it has never been too busy , maybe in the summer gets busier but it is definately worth it.
Thank you for the comments.

Humble beginning , OEM Hella reflector off The Samba.

3475646.jpg

I traded back a door I had sold to MCJ's Mark and was holding for him , so I now have a solid replacement for the passenger side door I'll take some pictures of it later.
The front brake cilynders were seized so I am out to buy new ones today so I can get it rolling.
I also got it registered under my name today so I should start driving it sometime next week , I want to get it to the paint shop to have an estimate asap to get this project rolling. Getting excited now :D

Nothing to report but this is my 1000th post
party00091.gif
so I guess "Earlybay is my life".
Joined the site on January of 2008 so it is also my 3 year anniversary.

Got this today off the Samba , NOS owners manual.
Got new front wheel brake cilynders for the bus yesterday , I replaced the ones on the passenger side hopefully I can do the other one after work today.

3055346.jpg

3055348.jpg

Dirty Harry said:
Let the hunt for parts begin :)

Oh yeah! :D

I took the bus to my favorite mechanic in Tijuana , Enoc's. They are a VW only shop and they are going to overhaul the brake system and do a tune up on the engine as well as getting all the lights to work properly.
I should be driving it next week :mrgreen:

01632837.png

The bus may be ready today , they had to replace the front wheel cilynders as well as the master cilynder. The electronic ignition the PO had install was not working so it went back to ignition points and the mechanic says the engine sounds and runs pretty good :D
Yesterday I won this 2 shiny bits on ebay , door handle and engine lid lock.

2cf47b73f308b5e4a404_1.jpg

873e42dd847ca49f9825_4.jpg

Its gonna be another cracker! :) top work as always dood.

easy said:
Its gonna be another cracker! :) top work as always dood.

Thanks Easy.

I drove the bus home last night , what a great feeling after not driving a bus since last september 8)
Not done with the mechanics though , there are still some brake issues and the rear axels and shocks need attention , I have some spare shocks but will work on the axels this weekend.
Some bits I been buying are starting to show up so I am acting like a kid always looking for packages every time I get home from work :lol:

Very nice mate.so now you have this van you will have to bring it over for vanfest of course wont you hey :lol: .If you find another locking engine lid lock im after one.cheeers pal.

Rusty Lee said:
Very nice mate.so now you have this van you will have to bring it over for vanfest of course wont you hey :lol: .If you find another locking engine lid lock im after one.cheeers pal.

My wife is already looking at my sideways like "I know what you are up to" :lol:
Seriously tough , I am not sure if I will go this year but I wouldn't mind if it works out that way :mrgreen:
I'll let you know if I run into another engine lid lock for a good price, I got a good deal on this one but I have seen them on the samba for upto $75 :shock:
Cheers mate.

Thanks buddy.I don't want to be paying 75 bucks though.I think I will be taking a year out this year from coming over to C.A but be back next year for the classic.

Went thru my parts bins and found some new parts from Wolfsburg West I had collected , both rear side window rubbers , rear hatch window rubber , antenna, engine lid brackets screws and rubbers , splash pan rubbers , 2 pedal rubbers.

tintopwesty005.jpg

I also had a manual cover and Westfalia manual so I have a complete set now.

tintopwesty012.jpg

PO left this door handles and halogen lights , I'm not sure about the lights but look like a straight fit , I will try them and see how they look.

tintopwesty013.jpg

tintopwesty014.jpg

Worked on the bus tonight to replace one rear axle , tomorrow I will go and get the 2nd one , while down there I noticed the rear shocks are gone , I have a good spare set and was ready to replace them but the wheel nuts did not wanted to cooperate, so I will stop by a tire shop tomorrow to have them loose up a little.

009.jpg

013.jpg

you need to invest in a scafold pole ;) looks good though.by the way working on that white westy tues :msn4: