'70 bay...resto cal...restowagen type thing? dunno really?!?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thru_a_lupe said:
well things are looking up a bit....

just got the wheels back from the powdercoater having had them blasted, zinc primered and first coat of black....

DSCF4076.jpg

schweeeet!!!!

and then spent 4 hours masking them....

DSCF4078.jpg

and then back to the powdercoaters for silver detailing and and clearcoat....

Hi fella, great looking bus, my Sprints are at the powder coaters as we speak, I went for metalic silver all over and gonna add the black........hope they come out as well as yours have 8)

Just

cheers...i like it!!! :mrgreen:

not much to report here really.....
apart from winter has taken its toll on the body work in quite a bad way.... so if you see the bus at any shows this year... dont look too closely!!! may have to try and pass it off as a rat-look now!!! still the wheels are still pucker and shiney!!! :lol:

anyway...decision has kind of been made to take it off the road next autumn and winter for a respray....nothing concours....just a quality job to keep the elements out! got some roof cuts sorted and gonna getb rid of the crappy leaky tilt glass sunroof in the cab as well.... depends on funds really as i now have to start saving as Lar and I got engaged the other week!!!! just think what i could do to the bus with the 1000's that were gonna have to save!!!! :lol:

so gonna try and leave work early today as the sun is shining and get home to t-cut and polish the bus and get it looking a little better for the forthcoming show season.....
other things needing doing incl looking at the front suspension again as im still getting arch rub on the downhill bends (who doesnt apart from gadget?!?) but also the beam end plates are digging into the tarmac every so often on the big bumps!!!! probably sounds worse in the cab that it really is... but it sure is a little scarey!!!

also need to finish the leisure battery etc and get the fridge running off it.... as well as the stereo and maybe some light....
aslo replacing little things like the broken wing mirror and the indicator seals etc etc etc....

lots of little bits to do..... and then on with some shows and surf trips... winters been toooooo long this year....

well got out at the weekend and got the bus all tarted back up for the forthcoming season!!! does look too bad...few little issues here and there...

on the flip side.... opened the rear safari for the first time this year andf the hinge gave way!!!! :shock: basically the piano style hinge is aircraft glued to the frame and its all but come unstuck!!!! :shock:

spoke to creative though and they will take it back and fix it for me.... which is a bonus!!

i met this bloke called mark at CTTP on sunday.... he was taking a close look at my bus....
anyway we had a chat and it turned out we had something in common.....
he just sent me a couple of photos via facebook....

check out the number plates....

24318_1394311852097_1061198953_1178644_8168914_n.jpg

OBK797H2009.jpg

IMG_7967.jpg

24318_1394312012101_1061198953_1178646_4647502_n.jpg

please excuse this posting...just want to stick up some extra pics for the old owner to see....

as it was...
ern1.jpg

ern3.jpg

ern4.jpg

ern2.jpg

ern5.jpg

enginebefore.jpg

painted...
ern7.jpg

when we finally got it home....
almostfinished.jpg

awning.jpg

our first trip...
ernieaa.jpg

fatefull trip to newquay...
PIC01031.jpg

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3674.jpg

our travels...
PIC011231.jpg

PIC011061.jpg

090419CTTP20.jpg

IMG_7981.jpg

dubs1.jpg

091024NorthDevonFinalFling32-1.jpg

magazine...
7E7T4062.jpg

7E7T4063.jpg

old beam...
DSCF4267.jpg

new beam...
DSCF4245.jpg

the underside...
DSCF4650.jpg

DSCF4646.jpg

the new stance...
DSCF4258.jpg

the grand finalle...
090725OBK797Hbw.jpg

Very cool to run into the previous owner , I bet he did not recongnize his old bus, it looks so different and full of goodies and upgrades :D

Some sweet pics on there Jon, my fave is the one of Lara's picnic at Newquay :mrgreen:
There's a sweet looking westy in some of the pics too Dude :oops: :lol:

oh crap! :?

having had my first vanfest experience at the weekend (just up for the day) and seeing so many quality rides i decided to take a closer look at my bus on sunday.... see what needs doing over the winter....

didnt like what i found :(
ok...so its not as bad as some of the sheds that people are working on on here.... but still a little daunting all the same...

PIC01607.jpg

PIC01608.jpg

PIC01617.jpg

PIC01615.jpg

PIC01611.jpg

PIC01626.jpg

PIC01628.jpg

looks like im gonna have to tackle this myself... but already have a roof cap to sort the gutter issues and am going to get rid of the crappy glass sunroof up front too...
thinking about trying one of those 'bus shelter' temporary garage thingies as i dont have anywhere else to put it and keep it dry etc...

so after final fling its coming off the road....

:shock
Not nice to find the dreaded rot :evil:
Keep us posted as to what else you find and how you manage to tackle it ;)

dude
the bus looks awesome,one of my fav camper and bus articles.

i wondered have you had any chassis notching done?
the ride height you have is pretty much what i want on my bus when it arrives.

cheers dubbedup... very kind of you to say so!

no notching as of yet!!! doesn't need it up front at all although this winter will see some front tubs as there is a bit of wheel rubbing in the arch. as for the rear no notching yet but with addition of some adjustable springplates I may need to notch the back a little... we'll have too see.... watch this space!!!

See you at the fling dood! 8) dont forget to give Chris @ Alimax a ring he will be seriously cheaper than you think ;)

Wow sorry to see your bus has some real issues! Thought you were exaggurating a bit when you said it needed work but seems you're right.
Anyway should make for an interesting little resto, keep the pics comin' !

tis about time i wrote something....spose!

well after the last jaunt out to a fricken cold final fling....

IMG_0234.jpg

the wintery weather was not being to friendly to the old fella, so lar and i bit the bullet and put the bus into storage and i am glad we did as literally a couple of days later the major snowy weather hit big time! i haveent seen let alone driven it since then, but at least i know its all dry and safe...

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

ive got some time in lieu owing from work so i thinkl im gonna take a few days off in the next month or so and tackle some of the jobs that need doing. the plans for a respray have had to be shelved due to other commitments in my life but i will tackel what i can for the time being like removing some of the rust etc so it may very well be a bit of patchy primer this coming season! need to also tackle the front wheel tubs....

trying to decide between something along the lines of ez's tubs...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/CHRISESLER/Van%20Pics/ArchesTubbingJuly2010007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or something like evil bens....

7E7T6311.jpg

either way im after something small that will fit under the seat without too much hassle!

i may also take a few bits off to change the look a little! May lose the pinstriping too as im a little tired of it now. the side step has already been sold off and a few other bits may go too! the grille trims have come off too...
also last week i had a moment of weakness after chancing upon bargain of the century and after talking lara out of some of our saved wedding money 2 days later i had 4 round things sitting in my spare room!!! they are brand new but need painting and detailing straight away ;)
i'll give you a clue.... they are roumd and made of metal!!!! :msn4: :lol: :mrgreen:

so thats all for now...

Latest posts