71' Swiss Microbus Resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dude, I was startin to think no one was watching. :D I got a way to go yet and need all the encouragement I can get. The welding is coming together, just need to learn to clean the damn surfaces properly. Bit hit n mis at the mo. Can't quite get to grips with upsidedown welding either!

I know what you mean, its nice to get some encouragement :) Mine has been coming together over the last 18 months and its really helped being on here. Mine has been thrown together though in comparison to yours, I must speak to my welder mate and show him how its done properly lol :)

just read your post some top work going on there, always handy to get views on how others are tackling the jobs we all have to do at some time.
Ive been doing mine for 8 months now, just the front inner/outer panel to do and thats the front 2/3rds complete (will do a rsto thread one day....honest)

As for welding upside down all i have found is if you change nothing other than turn the wire speed up a touch it should go as well. If its burning down the wire speed up, if it starts splatting turn it down a bit. :)

Nugsy said:
just read your post some top work going on there, always handy to get views on how others are tackling the jobs we all have to do at some time.
Ive been doing mine for 8 months now, just the front inner/outer panel to do and thats the front 2/3rds complete (will do a rsto thread one day....honest)

As for welding upside down all i have found is if you change nothing other than turn the wire speed up a touch it should go as well. If its burning down the wire speed up, if it starts splatting turn it down a bit. :)

Thanks for the tip Nugsy. I will try speeding up the wire on Monday and let you know how it goes. Get that camera out and start a thread mate, you know it makes sense! 8)

Keep up the good work, Chris! It's looking more and more solid every time I check out this thread. It makes me thankful to live in such a dry place, too :lol:

Barkafer said:
Bit more cleaning. Seats this time. Anyone know how to get the vinyl completely clean? Started off with a brown dirty stain (removed with Bleach) and now got a yellowish stain that I can'y shift.
DSCF6856.jpg

Havn't started this one yet.
DSCF6857.jpg

Later!

Mine were just like that, I cleaned my seats up but it takes hours and hours. Start at it with a toothbrush and nail varnish remover, it's harsh stuff though so try a small patch first.

Des

Thanks Des, I will have a go today.

Thanks for the kind words P. I hope to get on it today and finish what I started. The plan is to get the floor solid and shift it on to someone who has more time (and youth!) on their side.

sugar soap is pretty good stuff. I found it lifted the yellow staining and nicotine off the seats and headliner no problem at all.

Johnny said:
sugar soap is pretty good stuff. I found it lifted the yellow staining and nicotine off the seats and headliner no problem at all.

The guy that owned my bus smoked like a chimney, mould remover sorted out the headlining in my bus.

To be honest sugar soap sounds like a better option than nail varnish remover, so I'd go for the SS first and if there are stubborn stains then resort to NV.

Des

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I had a go with the acetone (nail varnish remover) but, it didn't really seem to shift it. I'll get hold of some sugar soap and try that.

Little done on the van to speak of. Piddled about a bit the other day with limited success. Some welds ok but, blew a hole on the fekkin thing. Upping the feed speed seems to work on the uphill welding :D
DSCF6949.jpg

Nice penetration, oh er missus! Bit to much in one place :evil:
DSCF6950.jpg

H beam end cut and tacked in place.
DSCF6951.jpg

This bit was fiddly and more to come.
DSCF6952.jpg

Missus is now 4 days overdue. Am on house arrest and tagged when I go out! Ah, the joy of fatherhood!

Missus has finally popped! Delivered a beautiful baby girl at 7:18 on Monday. All is well in the Barkhouse...er.... house!

Back to the important work! :lol: Patched the H support t'other day.
DSCF6965.jpg

DSCF6966.jpg

DSCF6967.jpg

Forgot to take a photo of the welded article. It was welded, honest!
Welded the second H support end in place.
DSCF6968.jpg

DSCF6969.jpg

TBC.

Sad to say this project has now moved on. I did some maths and worked out that it would take at least another four years to complete, so as I'm not getting any younger and I have a new Bus too, I had to let it go.
Gone local tho so I can keep an eye on it.

Ahh thats a shame after all that work :( but was a massive task you set yourself.
Whats your new bus?

Yeah, it was too big a task for an old git like me! :lol: Having 5 kids, I found it hard to find the time to work on her.
See thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my new bus. Just finishing off the minimal welding for Mot this week. :D

Latest posts