71 Westy Resto Begins

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsh

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1970 LHD Westy
Well its about time I stopped lurking and started posting so here she is courtesy of Graham at Midland Earlybay!! Its a 71 Westy imported from Texas and probably fair to say that it's in need of some TLC!! :lol:

Unfortunately it seems to have had an accident in its previous life and ended up with a late bay repro panel so clearly that needs sorting!

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

Reckon these tires will have to go!!

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

It even came complete with Rats nest courtesy of some US rodents.

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

Cheers fella. Being lurking for an age but finally took the plunge and splashed the cash!

Well its getting there after a fair amount of elbow grease. No rust found so it has been cleaned up and painted, pics to follow.

:lol: Wish that was the case. So the next step was to address the errr rust issues. Decided to have a go at soda/shot blasting. Really pleased with the end result!

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

Finally shiny metal!

IMG_3033.jpg

Slapped on a coat of etch primer to protect the metal from the rust monster

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

So apparently brakes are rather important so I decided to renew the system. New brake lines, flexis, backing plates, shoes, pads etc, etc

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

Engine removed with some gentle persuasion!

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

With the limitations of my rather basic knowledge reached it was time to head over to Ron at VW Endangered Species for a bit of a facelift. He is based near Trowbridge and I cant recommend him enough. He is fairly priced, honest, a real perfectionist, even makes a decent cup of tea and I have been really impressed with the standard of his work. Work required includes: front clip, complete cab floor, front wheel arches, rear hinge panel, both battery trays and both sills.

IMG_3598-1.jpg

IMG_3599-1.jpg

IMG_3602-1.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

DSCF0985.jpg

So Ron removed the hideous late bay front but kept the A pillars intact to maintain structural strength.

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

Earlybay front clip in place and welding complete. A very tidy job and well pleased with the end result.

IMG_3622.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

Replacement cab door sourced from FBI VW and fitted.

IMG_3579.jpg

Sourced a complete LHD earlybay cab floor from Etienne at Evam Classis. Really pleased with the quality of the pressing. Apologies for the geeky pics!

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

Ron replaced the lower section of the front wheel arch. Finally feels like its starting to come together now!

DSCF0994.jpg

The rear hinge panel is shot so ordered the part from Autocraft Engineering who were really helpful. Ron will have this fitted as soon as it arrives.

DSCF0983.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

Both battery trays needed replacement.

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

Various repairs were needed to the lower 6 inches on both sides. Nothing too serious thankfully

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

Marsh, are you sure that the bus wasn't just in Texas for a holiday ? So much for the rust free USA buses.
Good to see another legend being kept alive. Good luck with the resto. Any plans sorted yet? , paint , ride height, wheels ??

Some very nice work going on there 8)

How long to get to the stage in the pictures above?

Thanks for the comments guys, certainly not rust free and not sure why it needed snow tyres in Texas?? To be honest I will keep the stock wheels/ride height for a while purely because of finances! I reckon it must of taken about 6 months to get to this stage and its due to have a respray in the next couple of weeks, thinking of going for a light savanna beige!!

Cheers fella, Ron has been a legend couldn't have got this far without him!

:shock: wow :D quite a transformation going on there. goes to show not to judge a book by its cover, under all that surface rust the rear panels are a treat underneith, i'm worried mine is the other way round :?

keep the snow tyres they look so tough on standard height buses 8)

Here are the latest pics with the work being done at VW Endangered Species (Rocket Ron). Firstly the rear hinge panel was replaced as it was rotten, with the panel being sourced from Autocraft.

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

Couple of repair patches to the cargo floor needed:

IMG_3656.jpg

Finally the complete cab floor (sourced from Evam Classic) is in and seam sealed. The panel fitted perfectly and we were really chuffed with the quality :D

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

It's comong together nicely now Marsh, good progress. Can't say I've ever heard the term 'panel fitted perfectly' before...result !!!
Keep it up mate, you'll soon be there,

Well, when I say it "fitted perfectly" that actually means that it only required some gentle persuasion with the hammer! Still, well impressed with the panel tho :lol:

My bro's bus came from Texas and I was surprised at the rust on it. I think the worm got yours Bad!

Ron is certainly looking after his customers, everything lines up sweet!

Can't wait to see it in paint 8)

Yeah likewise, its off for a new coat of paint next week!! Bring it on :D

Marsh, how's the paintwork coming on , any progress ?
Nearly ready to paint mine so don't be shy with the photo's, the more the merrier !

She is currently being prepped for paint at the moment and won't be back until the new year but will post some pics of the progress asap

Latest posts