'72 crosser westy (not a resto just a get it going)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for the 5th (and I hope FINAL time :roll: ) my bus has no engine fitted!!

It's now just looking like a parts shed!!

The replacement gamble started like this

And currently it's now awaiting a fan belt and a progressive carb fitting then it's ready to left in!! :msn4:
Last night a few from the local club met up at a watering hole for a natter so I had to borrow our lasses car as a coil pack failed on mine :oops:
Nowt like a breeze in your hair.........

Nice Bus!!

Once you've had a bus with a 2L you'll never want a bus with a beetle engine again :)

snow_pikey said:
Nice Bus!!

Once you've had a bus with a 2L you'll never want a bus with a beetle engine again :)
Cheers dude... I soooo wanna copy your spare wheel spotlight :lol:
I'm hoping the 2.0 works out as I've chucked good money down the drain on the 1500sp that was fitted and it's been a harsh lesson on getting ones pants pulled down :roll:
Anyway, fingers crossed I can get it fitted when I get back from a trip to Finland next week to party with Mikko who is a member on here 8)

From what I've seen so far..... God help my liver :lol: :lol:

Well I survived Finland and managed to get the 2.0 bolted in before I had my operation on my wrist done!
The 2.0 has 32/34 twin carbs fitted and I was going to have to sort a million live feeds for them ( ok so probably like 6) and tee the fuel lines as I was struggling to get the parts I needed for the twin choke progressive Webber carb I have. Thankfully it looks like an old boy who is a ford man (bless him) has umpteen of these lying around and is putting mine together as it should be :mrgreen:
So I'm awaiting the ability to grip anything to return..... Then I can crack on and try and have the bus ready to at least fill with crap and tow my caravan to Alnwick castle for Mighty Dubfest :lol:

Oh and a side point on the liver.... It would appear I might in fact have killed it in Finland as some routine bloods I had done have shown I have a problem with it :shock:
Having an ultrasound scan and consultation next week......
I wonder what a festival is like sober because I just know that gonna be what ends up happening :oops:

Well after a difficult couple of weeks with wrist surgery then having had what was supposed to be a small biopsy on my shoulder yesterday which turned into requiring 16 stitches :shock:
The engine is in and more importantly RUNNING!!!!!

Yes I know, it's pig ugly and not all nice and shiny paint but as long as it gets me on adventures and a few shows, I'm a happy Gav!!
However, as you can see the interior is a little bit away from being anything remotely camper like :lol:

Need some rock n roll hinges if anyone knows of a pair going?

Looks good gav! Bet the 2 litre goes a fair bit!

Was thinking of making some r n r hinges myself using the plans on here

Well a smal, setback this morning when after a few days of pulling my hair out with the carb, I've fitted an original old Webber progressive and its tucking over and reving up better but needs tweaking.... Went to reverse out the garden and the most god awful howling from the gearbox :shock:
Cleaned the skidmarks from my kegs and had a think. Chucked 1 1/2 litres of oil back into the gearbox and tried again.... Silence :msn4:

So I took it for a toot around the block..... It's bogging down when I initially go to pull away so will have a fiddle with the carb setting and whip a plug or two out and check how they are colour wise :D

well its been a little while ince i updated this thread. the engine was set up by my pal at motor werks in Houghton le spring and the carb is working a trest.... however, he said the clutch was slipping a little :roll:
the following week i picked up a CK code gearbox and new rear main oil seal as it was leaking and i thought, causing the slipping. changed it all and refitted the clutch which was clean as a whistle aand... slipping still
so, the day before i was due to drive the bus to redcar for the show and towing the caravan too, i pulled the motor in the back garden on my own with a piddly little jack and swapped the clutch for a new one. turned out the presure plate was goosed : :oops:
so, with a drive round the estate an hour before i was due at work under the busses belt, i loaded it with three peoples stuff, chucked the caravan on the back and went for it!!
the bus was a dream and didnt miss a beat there or back 8)
i have a couple of minor oil leaks to sort but im just enjoying being able to jump in nd drive it!!

A few pics from the weekend

My pal bill sent me this one he snapped while I was having a stress check after arriving lol

The morning after the party
Mikko my pal DROVE his bay from Finland to make a few shows this year and was struggling along with an alien which turned up at 2am at our camp :lol:

Made a start on my new table today

So pissed off with life at the moment though, just over wrist surgery and then bang, disc prolapse has resulted in more time off work and nerve root injection!
Seems to have helped as my legs no longer give way leaving me on the bloody floor in agony, however I feel like any moment it will wear off :roll:
Anyone had this type of injection before? Could do with some experience from people on how it went
Cheers

I like your bus, it's the best year and has the best kind of roof ;). I bet you're glad it's road legal and working! :D

My '72 tintop is getting close now, was wondering where your local pub meets are, I'm just across the Pennines and might fancy a chug over?

I'd also like a close look at your towbar, having a nightmare getting one to comply with my crossover plus 2.0 combo :sad0049:

nobbly said:
I like your bus, it's the best year and has the best kind of roof ;). I bet you're glad it's road legal and working! :D

My '72 tintop is getting close now, was wondering where your local pub meets are, I'm just across the Pennines and might fancy a chug over?

I'd also like a close look at your towbar, having a nightmare getting one to comply with my crossover plus 2.0 combo :sad0049:
Any time buddy, our local club pub meet is first wed of the month and we move about so will keep you posted. I'm at harewood house VWfestival next weekend with the bus (fingers crossed lol) if you are down?

Latest posts