72 Sierrayellow Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome job! your attention to detail is spot on and your bus is perfect, I do this stuff for a living and to see somebody have that much patience I really admire

Hombre said:
Awesome job! your attention to detail is spot on and your bus is perfect, I do this stuff for a living and to see somebody have that much patience I really admire

Thanks for the nice words! :D
Best regards
Reto

Hi everybody!

The time is running, and the summer holidays are coming closer and closer. So the bus needs to be finished. I had some troubles with the shifting rod. The guidance of the switch rod was absolutely terrible. After some sleepless nights my Dad had the idea! He made a guidance for the shifting rod which you can put in without the shifting rod out. Absolutely perfect, thanks Dad!

P5273266_zps90ugwsz6.jpg

P5273266_zps90ugwsz6.jpg

And finally installed...
P5273274_zpskegnys00.jpg

Now I can put the gears in like a dream!
P5273277_zps28fb4cok.jpg

I bought this roof rack from Holger from Germany. It's a nice roof rack, but needs some love from me and specially one more time from my Dad! :D
DSC03108_zpspzmqelh1.jpg

I need a roof rack for my windsurf equipment. But I don't want to had the pop top always down when we're traveling around. So idea was born to build one special roof rack! Thanks one more time Dad!

Down...
P6113303_zps8vqldglc.jpg

And up...
P6113304_zpsl0cfibb9.jpg

Needs some more work, but works perfect!

And finally tomorrow will be THE day! MOT DAY! Wish me luck!
IMG_2003_zpsyuearelc.jpg

Best regards
Reto

Hi guys!

After so many years my bus is now official street legal in Switzerland! :party0049: :party0047: :D
The Surffalia passed the MOT this morning, I'm very, very happy about that! :D
I want to thank you all for the support and all the nice words you had for me and my bus! But as you know, there is allways something to do on our lovely buses! So the story goes on... :)

Now a will have a few beers and enjoy the evening!
Thanks guys and cheers
Reto

My and my brothers bus by side the river off Aare. He passed the MOT one week ago! ;)
IMG_1980_zps2vmvdlpk.jpg

Hi everybody!

Some time is gone since my last update... One week ago we came back from our summer holiday. We were traveling from Switzerland to Hamburg, Norway, Danmark, Hamburg and back to Switzerland. We had a grade time, but a little bit too wet for me, specially in Norway! ;)
So here are some impressions:
Starting in Switzerland
P7173447_zpsphj96nek.jpg

Hamburg
P8114449_zpsg1nze6bz.jpg

Prototyp-museum
P8104371_zpsq1on8tfz.jpg

P8104369_zpszz90wua4.jpg

P8104367_zpstpdxre0n.jpg

CSP-Shop in Bargtheheide
P8084328_zpsj77zoi4y.jpg

A lot of camping...
P8054197_zpsmi11hv8p.jpg

P7303965_zpsbz9ydu0h.jpg

P7233763_zpsnpiztw2c.jpg

P7253838_zps6aclhnmr.jpg

P7223756_zpsy1dpapxn.jpg

image_zpsgflxixzm.jpeg

Fishing with my Cousine and my Brother
P8024071_zpsmq6cxjh7.jpg

P7263874_zpsbriypcsl.jpg

Some windsurfaction. We had the whole beach for us! Perfect! :D
P7304016_zpsf4jtane6.jpg

P7304002_zpslskbxvwe.jpg

P7303989_zps3b2h0wbk.jpg

Good DAY! Cheers!
P7314037_zpsfnbwfrpw.jpg

Flying with my kite
GOPR4826_zpstxjtrcsn.jpg

And for the 1 of august (Swiss-National Day) original Swiss Cheese Fondue! :)
P8014042_zpsufq25xx3.jpg

And after a lot of fun, rainy days and a lot of new impressions we had to say good bye!
P8114459_zpslfwotycn.jpg

With the bus everything went fine. We had only a few small problems. Nevertheless I will have a lot of work in the winter, specially with the suspension. If the bus is heavy loaded, the rear is sitting nearly on the original spring plates. So I will change them to adjustable ones. Also at the front the tyres touching the wheel arches a bit too much in my opinion. ;)

Best regards
Reto

Hi everybody

I've a lot of new ideas in my head for the bus. Things I want to do in the wintertime:
- adjustable spring plates
- new front seat covers
- Dents at the front of the bus had to go
- Rebuild the buddy seat
- Monroe airshocks for heavy loading
- Rebuild the yellow front lights

I allready ordered the adjustable springplates and the new seat covers.

Marco from Germany sold me this frame from a buddy seat.
PA143493_zpsryqjr6wc.jpg

I will rebuild the wood plate and the foam. Can someone give me the dimensions from this parts? Thanks guys!

Some frontlights are in the rebuilding
PA013493_zpsk3jv51ht.jpg

And as a little project by side I start with rebuilding my old Puch Maxi moped. :)
PA013496_zps4qnxlqp2.jpg

PA143500_zpsehvopdlq.jpg

Best regards
Reto

Some work is done on my moped...

Broken rear fender has to be welted.
Before:
PA143498_zps7ykpp8my.jpg

After:
PA143502_zpskhosvgbm.jpg

There were also a lot of dents in the frame. :? So spend a few hours to make everything straight back again. Then it was time for sandblasting...
PA293439_zpsdfvo1mqd.jpg

And off to the powdercoater...
PB193443_zpssexx6auq.jpg

PB193447_zpsgqgshyau.jpg

PB193445_zpsol7nit8x.jpg

Next I had to rework all screws, nuts and much more. And next to this my bus will get some love! :lol:

Best regards
Reto

Moped looks great. Every VW bus needs one!.

I have a vespa t5 sitting in line awaiting restore after the bus!

Webbaldo said:
Moped looks great. Every VW bus needs one!.

I have a vespa t5 sitting in line awaiting restore after the bus!

Thanks, I love my Puch Maxi moped! But a vespa would be even cooler! :) Love them!
Best regards
Reto

Hi everybody!

Wish you all the best in 2017! :D I've started with the rebuilding of my moped.

Here some pics:
PC283470_zpshkfy8yif.jpg

PC283475_zpsysmjvhfw.jpg

PC293492_zpshqcczpsf.jpg

PC293485_zpsrewqaouu.jpg

Next step will be the rebuilding of the engine.

Then I dismantle my rear suspension from the bus. I will change the original spring plates agains adjustable spring plates. Finally I got them after a long time from cagero.com. Cagero.com is my Swiss-aircooled-parts dealer. They got them from creative engineering in UK. First I've try to contact the guys from creative engineering by my self. But they never give my an answer. Perhaps they don't want to sell parts to a swiss guy...

Good Quality spring plates, but bad customer service. Now they're ready for powder coating...
PC293507_zpslkxytsbi.jpg

Have a nice evening!
Regards
Reto

Reto before you powder coat them, I would dry fit them. I had to clearance the inside face of the spacer that goes between the end cap and the spring plate as it was fouling the smaller part of the spring plate.

If you put the spacer in place on the bus you will see that the inside diameter is smaller that the required .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*Sam* said:
Reto before you powder coat them, I would dry fit them. I had to clearance the inside face of the spacer that goes between the end cap and the spring plate as it was fouling the smaller part of the spring plate.

If you put the spacer in place on the bus you will see that the inside diameter is smaller that the required .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi sam
Thanks for the information! So I will try them first on the bus.
Best regards
Reto

Happy new year 2017!
Moped look great but is it too shiny ... :? ... really, super job! :D

Are those spring plates how much wider than originals?
I'm waiting how those fit, before ordering for my combi.

Keep working perfect like you have made!

Latest posts