A new Trailer project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
A friend brought this around today from his place in France so i thought it would be rude not to restore it back to its former glory.
Its a smaller version of the one i sold to ooro and is the same size as my little westy trailer. The thing about these trailers is that they fold flat, and the bed and sides are totally removeable if you wish which hopefully means i can also use it as a motorbike trailer if i need to just by bolting on a ramp and wheel clamp.
Spent the afternoon tracking down some replacement rubber suspension bands in France, and just need a few other missing parts which i will most probley have to guess what they are as ive got no referance.(the bolt/pins that hold the sides together)
Its got the correct detachable electric cable connector and the wooden sides look like they will just need a clean and polish so hopefully the suspension, new tyres and the metal work all being blasted and powdered should see it back on the road. (dont hold your breath, im already doing a Hazet Assistant and my Monkey bike)

30032012220.jpg

30032012219.jpg

30032012221.jpg

pretty damn cool, have been messing with an old trailer at home to tow my Lambretta but do like the idea of the folding / removable sides.
Might have to sell my one and have a look at Steves (ooro) ;)

ooro,s would actually be better as a bike trailer for a bretta as its the bigger size (even takes bretta wheels so carry one spare and your covered)
Started to strip mine today and am hopefully going to be able to salvage the laminate wooden effect sides.
Your right simo i do like to have something old and rusty in the garage to bring back to life. Something very satisfiying about bringing something back to its former glory. (that and the fact id rather take something old and rebuild it how i like than go and buy a new modern one)
Need to finish the Monkey Bike really for VW Action SW and the Hazet is taking up room but not earning its keep while still in bits.

Its a LAMA trailer which was part of the ERKA group i think but got shut down due to the name being so close to the other trailer manufacture ERDE.

The first one i had (which ooros got now) was also a LAMA but his was slightly larger i think, im waiting for him to get back to me with some measurements.

My first one was built in Saint Etienne and this one is from Sorbiers, which is the same region in France.

Remorques is French for trailer (i tapped it into Ebay F and thats what came up)

Some pictures of the pins holding the smaller sides in would be a great help if you could.

Nice project John, I take it thiswill end up as a bike trailer to transport your other Aircooled project to shows?

Hopefully due to the fact the bed is completely removable then i will be able to use it for the Monkey and as a normal trailer at other times.

Wood couldnt be saved. :cry:

It was just laminate board and had swollen quite abit with water ingress. Also the frame surrounding it is one piece unlike a westy trailer so the wood has to be slotted in/out rather than building the frame around it. This is mainly due to the wood having to be supported by the frame because of the fold down idea. Never mind ill just have to spend some extra money (and time) on some marine ply and sand/varnish it.
All the metals gone for blasting and the rubbers turned up from France.(these are going to be tricky to fit when the paints all shiney and nice)
Will strip and paint the wheels hopefully over the weekend and rebuild them with new tyres (anyone know where to get 3.50x8 rubber cheap?)
The price is going to run alot higher than i hoped but its a nice little trailer and when you start theres no turning back.

is it wrong that this is all i thought of when i saw the lama sticker?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had one of these trailers about 10 years ago, I sold it for £20 :x

clyde said:
The price is going to run alot higher than i hoped but its a nice little trailer and when you start theres no turning back.

I'm scared to add up what my current westy trailer resto has cost me so far...good job we aren't in it for the profit :lol:

Bwuttonmoon said:
I had one of these trailers about 10 years ago, I sold it for £20 :x

clyde said:

I'm scared to add up what my current westy trailer resto has cost me so far...good job we aren't in it for the profit :lol:

Yeah but Westy Trailers have a good resale market and although this little French number is very similar it just isnt the real thing.
My westy trailer resto ran abit high but didnt need to buy tyres and suspension for that, but it was alot more to buy in the first place.
Makes me laugh with the Westy trailers...........if a rotten one that needs new wood, tyres and suspension etc not to mention a repaint and all the little bits like stainless bolts etc is worth £500+ (i have seen them sell at this price) then whats a fully restored one worth :shock:

clyde said:
Yeah but Westy Trailers have a good resale market and although this little French number is very similar it just isnt the real thing.
My westy trailer resto ran abit high but didnt need to buy tyres and suspension for that, but it was alot more to buy in the first place.
Makes me laugh with the Westy trailers...........if a rotten one that needs new wood, tyres and suspension etc not to mention a repaint and all the little bits like stainless bolts etc is worth £500+ (i have seen them sell at this price) then whats a fully restored one worth :shock:

Those prices are insane anyway, out here (Netherlands) you can get better ones for around £80. Lets say shipping will cost around £100 (a guess) that's still £300 cheaper. So basically the prices in the UK are skewed....

Well its back from blasting with no nightmare holes etc.
Fitted the new rubbers, and had to get the old grey matter going on that one (new rubber, seperate swinging arm and new paint = hard work)
Fitted some NOS hella lights that look good and all plastic bungs replaced and all bolts etc being replaced with stainless. Couldnt find a new tow hitch that fitted the bolt so had to restore the old one.
Still not got any new tyres yet and the wheels still need to be stripped and rebuilt.
Will get some new Marine Ply after the bank holiday and ive got some top quality varnish ready to go.
Hopefully will have this finished this leave but the school holidays mean its on the back burner for this week.
Photos to follow.

P1030389.jpg

P1030391.jpg

P1030392.jpg

P1030393.jpg

P1030394.jpg

This might be for sale upon completion if anyones interested. Open to offers at the moment.
Remember the trailer box will fold flat for storage and the box is also removeable if required.
Top quality parts used through out. Much better than a modern alloy trailer and tow much better either full or empty with the rubber suspension. Its slightly bigger than a westy trailer.

New update.

Wheels stripped and re painted.

P10304702.jpg

P10304705.jpg

Tyres on and re fitted.
P10304708.jpg

Wood cut and edges sealed, insides and base painted (3 coats of marine paint)
P1030470.jpg

P1030471.jpg

Wheels and base frame re fitted.
P1030479.jpg

P1030480.jpg

P1030483.jpg

Cleats polished (i must be mad)
P1030485.jpg

2 coats of marine varnish applied, only 4 more to go!!!!!!
P1030486.jpg

Coming along nicely.

Latest posts